What's new

Thanks guys! My new JVC 500BK is on the way! (1 Viewer)

HankM

Second Unit
I ordered a JVC XV-S500BK which has a good PAL/NTSC converter plus progressive scaning. It will play regions 1-6. I ordered Armageddon & Crimson Tide from Amazon UK. I own these title now in R1 but they are not 16:9 enhanced. Does anybody here own the R2 or R4 of Scarface (Pacino), I read that those also have a 16:9 transfer plus a documentary, the R1 release is horrible. Thanks.

Wade K

Second Unit
I've been totally happy with the JVC XV-S500BK. I'm quite amazed how good PAL DVDs can look on a NTSC system and am sure you'll love it.

Ted Kontos

Stunt Coordinator
I got mine from the same place. Good service and staff. Plus I got to pick up my player myself since I work about 15 minutes away. I've ordered a lot of LDs and DVDs from them, too. No problems.

Dave F

Senior HTF Member
Can I ask you one more question? What prompted you to choose this model over a Malata?

Thanks,
Dave

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
How much did they charge for shipping Hank? I'm interested in their JVC XV F90(MULTI CODE, PAL/NTSC 7 DISC) player.

HankM

Second Unit
Brian,

No. It does not do the x/y scaling but it can scale a letter-box non 16:9 disc. The Malata is a little tweakier.

Jeff,

I believe it was something like $16.00 for UPS Ground Service.

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
Hank how has your experience with the JVC XV-S500BK been so far? I ended up with a JVC XV-SA70. I'm happy as a clam with mine. It is the best DVD player I've owned to this point.:emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup: :emoji_thumbsup:

HankM

Second Unit
Jeff,

I like my XV-S500. I also have a Panasonic RP-91 for my R1 discs which is my favorite player, it is also my reference player due to its incredible scaling of non-anamorphic discs. The JVC is great for my non R1 discs. I also wanted a progressive scan multi-code player. Seems that most lack this feature. I just picked up Scream (original cut, DTS, 16:9) from Amazon.fr, although it has mandatory French subs it is an improvement over the R1 disc (picture & sound). It also includes the same commentary track as on the R1 disc. Do you know of any on-line retrailers that have R3 discs. There is a couple of DTS titles I want.

rutger_s

Supporting Actor
Hank,
Here are some R3 & R2 retailers. Sites are in English except where noted.
DDDHouse
YesAsia
Link Removed - Site is in Korean with some English
DVD Asian - Carries very little R3 DVDs of Hollywood films. But has a very good selection of non-Hollywood films.
CD Japan - Carries the Amelie limited tin with magnet, spoon replica, and other collectables. Also carries the Jeepers Creepers limited edition with action figure of the creature.
Amazon.com Japan - Site is in Japanese

Jeff_HR

Senior HTF Member
The only e-tailer in rutger's list that I've done business with is CD Japan. The transaction went well. One note about CD Japan, they don't charge your credit card until the end of the month & a bit in to the next month. Just be aware.

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Jeff, actually it all depends on when you order from CDJapan. Credit card processing is extremely expensive in Japan, and doing it in bulk is cheaper (which is why most etailers do it at the end of the month). So depending on where you are in the billing cycle depends on when you get charged

Mike Mace

Stunt Coordinator
You guys still happy with your XV-S500BK's I just ordered one.

FIgured I would replace my current player for a progressive unit so I'm ready to go when the widescreen is purchased. Price must have dropped on these, I picked mine up for a little over 150 shipped.

Mark Rapp

Agent
Real Name
Mark
I've been happy with mine, too (502, black). I am wondering, though, if any of you who have this player also purchased the E.T. Gift Set. Only on the original theatrical release of the movie (all other disks are fine), it freezes at about 1hr 12 minutes (right after Gergie says her dad is in Mexico), and happens each and everytime. Have any of you experienced this?

Matt Naglieri

Second Unit
I have a question about the region free players.

A friend of mine got one an apex in particular which ive heard was crap anyway. When you play a pal disc that has a 2.35:1 aspect ratio it looks like 1.85:1 and a 1.85:1 looks like pan & scan.

Does this have something to do with the pal to ntsc conversion or did he just get a bad player?

Is there one that will properly convert pal to ntsc to a standard ntsc tv or would he need a multisytem tv as well?

In addition all the settings on both the player and tv are set correctly and nothing helps.

any help would be greatly appreciated.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
blitz
Recent bookmarks