What's new

Terminator: Dark Fate (2019) (1 Viewer)

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
My main interest in this movie lies in the fact that it's a direct sequel to Judgement Day, and they're ignoring the other three films. I want to see what they do with that. It would be nice to see more Hollywood treasure spent on fresh ideas and new stories instead of constantly going back to the dry wells of the Terminator, Predator, and Alien "franchises."

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
They are basically going to go back to those "dry wells" as long as people want to see how they are going to dredge another story out.

dpippel

Yoyodyne Propulsion Systems
Supporter
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Doug
They are basically going to go back to those "dry wells" as long as people want to see how they are going to dredge another story out.

Obviously, but for me this film is a bit unique as far as its timeline goes. Only reason I'm interested in it.

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
I don’t think that metaphor works for the movies. When Hollywood goes back to a franchise and they happen to make a good movie, they create their own movie. Make a good movie and they will come.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
James Cameron should have stopped it right there!

Are you suggesting that T2 wasn't worth making? Because I disagree with that. T2 is one of the best sequels ever. It built on what was established in the first film and enriched it with further exploration that was absolutely worthwhile.

The third wasn't worth anything, and I haven't bothered to see anything beyond that, but Cameron didn't have any involvement in those.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
T1 was an amazing story and gets huge props for its originality. But T2 was IMHO the far superior film. The development of Sarah specifically was pretty awesome. Linda Hamilton's transformation for that role was impressive, and cinematically it was quite the feast.

skylark68

Screenwriter
Real Name
Timothy
I just finished watching Terminator last night (for the millionth time), it still holds up remarkably well. I have to agree though, T2 is the superior film.

Bryan^H

Senior HTF Member
T1 was an amazing story and gets huge props for its originality. But T2 was IMHO the far superior film. The development of Sarah specifically was pretty awesome. Linda Hamilton's transformation for that role was impressive, and cinematically it was quite the feast.

Sarah Conner ruined the second film for me. Her mega kick-ass personality was tiresome, and she was smart in the first film...so she just spills her guts(and getting physically violent toward those that didn't believe her) about the future in T2 knowing full well she was going to get institutionalized for her behavior. And treating Miles Dyson as someone worse than Hitler with an attempted execution that could have been completely avoided had they just showed him the evidence of the Terminator to begin with. Ugh.

She ruined the film for me alright (which was no easy task, Linda Hamilton is gorgeous IMO). Nails on a chalkboard as far as I'm concerned.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Sarah Conner ruined the second film for me. Her mega kick-ass personality was tiresome, and she was smart in the first film...so she just spills her guts(and getting physically violent toward those that didn't believe her) about the future in T2 knowing full well she was going to get institutionalized for her behavior. And treating Miles Dyson as someone worse than Hitler with an attempted execution that could have been completely avoided had they just showed him the evidence of the Terminator to begin with. Ugh.

She ruined the film for me alright. Nails on a chalkboard as far as I'm concerned.
Oh well, you can't please everybody.:)

Johnny Angell

Played With Dinosaurs Member
Senior HTF Member
Deceased Member
Real Name
Johnny Angell
And turning the role of Arnold’s Terminator upside down was a brilliant idea.

JimmyO

Berserker
Real Name
Jim
...knowing full well she was going to get institutionalized for her behavior.

How could she possibly "know full well" that she would be institutionalized for explaining her traumatic encounter? The way the movie explains it, she was accused of basically attempting to sabotage a factory when all along it was a cover-up since the terminator parts were recovered secretly and research was being done on them. I'm pretty sure this drove her into a mental state that explains her institutionalization, but I doubt very much that she knew full well that would happen.

Once incarcerated for simply telling the truth, her rage was driven further by knowing that her son was not safe and there was nothing she could do, so she took matters into her own hands. While not "reasonable" behaviour, I completely buy into her motivation given that no one believed her and there was real danger coming for John.

As for the attempted murder of Dyson, Sarah had just been through a life where she could count on no one to believe her and I'm sure the last thing on her mind would be sitting down and having a nice little chat with him, hoping she could convince him to "stop his research, pretty please". In her mind the quickest and surest way to do what needed to be done was to kill him.

Not trying to change your mind, if you didn't like the film that's cool. But I think it is a little easier to buy into Sarah's behavior once you buy into how traumatized she was, and how helpless she felt and how that drove her.

Jake Lipson

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jake Lipson
James Cameron has another big-budget movie he's producing which is being sold heavily on his name, being released this week.

I know it's a different studio but still.

If they have any footage ready, it would be smart to have a trailer for Terminator in front of Alita, even if it's just a brief one to announce to the general public that the movie is coming.

I kind of doubt it...but just saying...it would make sense.

Josh Steinberg

Premium
Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Steinberg
For the longest time, I preferred Terminator 2 to the original film (though I always loved both). But as I’ve gotten older, I think they may have swapped positions on my list.

The more I see the original film, the more I’m impressed with it. On a nothing budget, it manages to convince me that the end of the world is coming and that a machine apocalypse will be the future. Even though there are previous few effects in the film, they’re strategically deployed and used when absolutely necessary, and my belief in the film’s world is always complete when I’m watching it. Just an incredible bit of filmmaking.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks