What's new

Television Favorites - DVD version of an EP? (1 Viewer)

Michael Alden

Supporting Actor
This is not a good trend. Kind of equivalent of an EP record, a couple more songs than a 45 but not a full album. Is there really a market for this or is this just their way of testing the waters? Hasn't it already been established that the vast majority of the consumers want complete season sets? Next time you get Warners for a chat you might want to ask them what their philosophy is on this.

Bob Hug

Screenwriter
I think that there are a least 3 plausible reasons for this type of release:

1. Yes, they are testing the waters (but not so much for the "Dukes" which has proven itself as a viable DVD release).

2. There is a portion of the market who may only want to have a few episodes of a series rather than an entire season, or two, or three . . . I was never a big "Dukes" fan and won't buy any of the season sets, but I did buy the 3 episode set. It's quite possible that someone might buy the 3 episode release and go on to buy season sets. Fox recently did the same type of thing with Mary Tyler Moore, The Pretender, Buffy the Vampire Slayer, and 24. I don't know what kind of success they had but I ended up using the $10 rebate in the Mary Tyler Moore "sampler" to buy season 1.

3. Because of their smaller size, these type of releases could be sold in non-traditional retail outlets that may sell some DVDs, i.e., drug stores, but have no where near the shelf space that a Best Buy has for TV on DVD releases.

I think that these types of releases may be impulse purchases for casual fans. I know it was for me picking up that 3-episode "Dukes" release in the Wal-Mart $5.50 bin. And I will definitely purchase Maverick, Cheyenne, and maybe F-Troop. But, I agree, it would be interesting to hear Warner's take on these releases.

FrancisP

Screenwriter
I will buy F-troop and maverick. I am hoping that maybe this will lead to season sets of F-Troop. I think Maverick is a bit of a problem for Warner. The problem is the Jack Kelly/James Garner alternating format. I think Warner likes the episodes with Garner but are cool on the Jack Kelly episodes.

LarryDavenport

Senior HTF Member
I'll probably wait and get Maverick and F Troop series sets (used) but I would love to just have the "Cops" episode of The X Files, an all "Homicide" crossover collection of Law & Order, and just the Simpsons episodes that have drug references (the Duff Brewery tour, Insanity Peppers, toad licking, medical marijuana, etc.)

MarcoBiscotti

Senior HTF Member
With these specific releases I can't complain. I wouldn't have otherwise given any a second thought, but for price and package, I'll definitely pick up "Cheyenne" even though I've never seen a single episode, just because I'm auch a big fan of classic 50's TV westerns and grew up on many of these serials. I doubt I'd pick up anything more from the series though. This release seemes perfectly geared to me, an easy, simple and convenient disc to scoop up for a couple hours of entertainment that I'll more than likely enjoy. And if not, it couldn't cost more than $15 max and is no big loss.

Wendy_L

Supporting Actor
Maybe they also want to give people the chance to try out these classics without having to buy the Season sets. They pick up the single DVD collection with just a few episodes, watch them, decide it's a really cool show and then they go out and buy the Season sets that are available.

I rented the "Best of Providence" and decided I liked the show. If they ever released the full seasons on DVD I would definitely watch them.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks