What's new

Teen angst Movies on DVD (1 Viewer)

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Since I am such a John Hughes fan I thought I would make a post about some Teen Angst movies that are on DVD.
I am talking movies like The Breakfast Club, Pump Up The Volume and Can't Hardly Wait.
The Breakfast Club - Has to be my all time favourtie Teen Angst movie. Not a week goes by Not a week where I don't pop this baby into my player. I cry everytime I watch The Breakfast Club, Hey what the heck I know I'm a guy but movies have an effect on my life. I sit in my room and watch movies all day and I have seen movies that have changed me and inspired me and If that is " Pussy " to cry at a movie, Well I don't give a shit.
I would love to hear your views on Can't Hardly Wait and Pump Up The Volume
If you know any 80's or recent Teen Angst movies that are on DVD please post them here.
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Glenn Overholt

Senior HTF Member
Right on Ricky! I was thinking about starting a post for '100 Girls'. I think this one fits right in there. Local reviews by men aged 25, 37 & 52 all like it.
Glenn

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Agreed on that one todd.
Glenn, Thank You and I will be getting 100 girls on DVD.
Regards,
Ricky
[Edited last by Ricky f on October 04, 2001 at 07:28 PM]

wally

Second Unit
I'd love to see 16 Candles out. I'd buy that one over Breakfast Club. Never liked the Judd Nelson character. If I remember I saw a post that 16 Cs was on it's way.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
"Sixteen Candles" was released on DVD quite some time ago, though I believe it's now out of print. It was an Image release, liscensed from Universal. It was rather disappointing, all things told. Not only is the image non-anamorphic, it's the GRAINIEST picture I have EVER seen. No extras at all (the main menu is just a chapter selection screen), and the soundtrack is the altered "home video" version.

BrandonM

Stunt Coordinator
My favorite teen angst movie has to be "Show Me Love."
The plot focuses on Agnes, a 16 year old outcast, who has fallen in love with a younger, "popular" girl who has her own problems with her boring life. Titled "Fucking Åmål" overseas, the Swedish film nails teen life perfectly and I can fully relate even though I'm not a lesbian :)
I highly recommend the film to anyone, especially people looking specifically for great teen angst films.
Oh, and Alexandra Dahlström is beautiful :)
------------------
----
My DVD Collection

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
I will look into that one brandon.
Carl said it. I have the current DVD of 16 candles and it is not that great but I love the movie. There is some supposed SE in the works, That was said a while ago but no update since it was proposed.
Regards,
Ricky
------------------
jasvparbanner2.jpg

www.petitiononline.com/UncutDVD

David Lambert

Senior HTF Member
One not mentioned yet is the coming-soon Say Anything...and also The Sure Thing.
Others that could fit into this category include Better Off Dead and The Karate Kid.
Hey, I just realized that John Cusack is in 3 of those 4, as well as in 16 Candles. With his new film, Serendipity, opening today, it appears that this guy has graduated from Teen Angst films to Adult Angst films!
laugh.gif

Good actor, though...and his sister Joan, too.
------------------
DAVE/Memphis
TV-DVD.jpg

MORE TV ON DVD, PLEASE!
[Edited last by David Lambert on October 05, 2001 at 05:23 AM]

Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm

Supporting Actor
I also was going to mention The Sure Thing, Rob Reiner's most overlooked gem. But don't limit yourself to 80s-themed movies; teen angst is a constant throughout time. Check out The Outsiders and the masterpiece Quadrophenia. You might be amazed how much you have in common with kids from the 50s and 60s.
EDIT: I spelled "Reiner" wrong. A cardinal sin.
------------------
Andrew Hamm's new album Link Removed is available now!
[Edited last by Andrew 'Ange Hamm' Hamm on October 05, 2001 at 06:42 AM]

Richard Kim

Senior HTF Member
Ghost World is a pretty good teen angst film that's playing in theaters right now. Check out the Movies section
for comments about it.

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
The DVD of The Breakfast Club is Non-Anomorphic, But I still bought it. The picture is still pleasing.
Ahhh Yes Say Anyhting and The Sure Thing those will be in My DVD collection.
Also, on another note. Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's Dead is a great teen comedy type movie. It holds some nostalgia for me. I have just been watching it on DVD again, If you have not seen it I STRONGLY advise you to buy it, If not at least rent it.
" The Dishes are done man "
- Kenny, Don't Tell Mom The Babysitter's dead
Regards,
Ricky

PaulaJ

Supporting Actor
One of my favorite teen angst movies is Ordinary People. I'm very happy it is finally out on DVD, although disappointed that there is no bonus material besides the trailer -- no hoped-for Redford commentary, no interviews with the cast.
I'm also very fond of The Boy Who Could Fly, another title about teens (and a little brother, played by a very young Fred Savage) I'd love to see on DVD.
Of older vintage -- will we ever get a widescreen anamorphic East of Eden?
--PaulaJ

Josh Dial

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Josh Dial
Though this is probably an obscure title, have any of you seen "Army Brats"? That was a good flick, from Disney or another family company if i remember correctly.
cheers!
Josh

Ken_McAlinden

Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Kenneth McAlinden
I can't believe noone has mentioned Heathers, yet! I guess it's satirical nature puts it on another plane of existence compared to the John Hughes films referenced in the initial post, but it says more about 80s teen angst via satire than most of the more earnest films on the subject.
"My teenage angst bullshit now has a body count"
Regards,
------------------
Ken McAlinden
Livonia, MI USA

Samuel Des

Supporting Actor
I much prefer Reality Bites to St Elmos Fire as far as 20-something angst goes. Still among my favourites.
But teen angst... I love that scene in 16 Candles where the family is shuttling in-and-out of the station wagon, trying to fit in. The scene is accompanied by Bowie's "Young Americans."
------------------
Best, Sam
[Edited last by Samuel Des on October 05, 2001 at 10:45 AM]

Ricky f

Supporting Actor
Of course, Heathers is a damn good movie. I would of used that quote but you already used it.
Regards,
Ricky

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
SJeans123
Recent bookmarks