What's new

Watching Old shows / movies on OLED? (1 Viewer)

Wvtvguy

Second Unit
Real Name
Marc
I am considering getting an OLED tv. It crossed my mind that I watch a ton of old shows & movies on DVD & Blu Ray. Given the aspect ratio of old movies & classic tv, and the black bars on the sides, will that create burn in? I usually only watch an hour or two each week but sometimes get on a roll and watch a a few hours over the weekend.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
I have two LG OLED's and I watched a bunch of stuff in academy ratios without any burn in issues. Furthermore, these latest OLED models have basically eliminated that issue due to technological advances in that TV format.

johnmcmasters

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
John McMasters
I have an older LG OLED 4K 55" TV -- the last of the 3D units with a curved screen. The picture quality was simply breathtaking.

The TV was ruined within a year by burn-in -- basically by my returning so often to the YouTube app to watch videos and movies. The frame and format of the app burned into the image, especially in red and orange hues. I had activated the few features that were supposed to eliminate burn-in, but they didn't work. LG's warranty did not cover burn in as I was told by their help desk that it was "user caused." I want to add that I did not view hours of YouTube at a time, but simply by returning on a daily basis to the app, provided by LG as a part of the TV, the app's format and design burned into the image.

I still watch the TV because it cost a small fortune, but will be replacing it this year in a month or so with a larger unit. Farewell to the ghosts, color blobs, and phantom outlines.

I will never buy an OLED model again. My advice if you go for OLED is to make sure that burn-in is covered by the TV's warranty.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks