1. Sign-up to become a member, and most of the ads you see will disappear. It only takes 30 seconds to sign up, so join the discussion today!
    Dismiss Notice

TCM/Fathom 2019

Discussion in 'Movies' started by Garysb, Jan 13, 2019.

1. PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    A few years back, when "My Fair Lady" was making its theatrical rounds, there were some auditoriums that presented this restoration in 2K; while others in 4K. Does anyone know if this is still the case with this year's Fathom events? If so, I wonder if anyone can supply a state-to-state link as to which theaters will be using the 4K format.

2. Message #22 of 93 Feb 20, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 21, 2019
    PMF

PMF Producer

Philip
    I support these Fathom events; but I have 3 major complaints, which are as follows:

1) 9 films do not offer Sunday evening presentations; whereas on Wednesday evenings they do.
    2) 5 other titles are offered for a longer booking of 3 days; whereas none are being presented in the evenings, at all.
    3) There seems to be no easily accessible link that provide the information as to which theaters are showing these films in 4K vs. 2K.

So, here are my 3 major questions:

a) Why can't those who answer the phone at theaters have the required information concerning 2K vs. 4K?
    b) Why can't there be Sunday evening shows, each and every time?
    c) And why, oh why, can't there be a uniformity of matinee showtimes across the boards?
    [some are at 1:00 pm, then others at 3:00 pm; then another at 4:00 pm and even a pair at Noon.]-_-

Again, I wholeheartedly support these growing Fathom events;
    but it's become difficult to actually attend each and every event, when so many evening shows are now amiss.

3. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    My Fair Lady was glorious today. About as good looking as anything I've seen in that theater.

Jake Lipson and PMF like this.
  4. Message #24 of 93 Feb 25, 2019
    Last edited: Feb 25, 2019
    Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    My theater which charged regular admission prices for The Wizard of Oz is charging Fathom prices (+$5.71 above the cost of a regular ticket) higher than a normal ticket) for Gone With the Wind this weekend. That's a deal-breaker to me, so I'm out for this one.

Also:

I suspect this has to do with the running time of the film. The longer ones, like The Godfather Part II and Lawrence of Arabia, they would want to start earlier in the day to have a more reasonable ending time. And a Sunday evening show for a long movie like that would likely not be very highly attended because of the length and the fact that Monday is a workday for most people. Just a guess.

5. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    Saw Gone With the Wind and had a good time. Glad they showed it in it's original aspect ratio but I thought the picture looked not as vibrant or sharp as the blu-ray release.

6. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    That's odd. I wonder why. (I'm not questioning your account -- just wondering what the cause would be. Because the presentation was digital, theoretically they should be the same.) I didn't go to this one so I have no frame of personal reference.

atcolomb likes this.
  7. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
    My guess was because of a digital presentation but not sure about that. They did include a overture, intermission, and exit music from the film so very happy to see that.

Jake Lipson and PMF like this.
  8. Worth

Worth Producer

Nick Dobbs
    Digital should be sharper than a film print.

9. Jake Lipson

Jake Lipson Lead Actor

Jake Lipson
    holtge and atcolomb like this.
  10. atcolomb

atcolomb Screenwriter

Angelo
  11. Bob_S.

Bob_S. Screenwriter

Glad to see the big turn out for GWTW. I skipped it this year since I saw it the last time it came out. I plan on seeing Ben Hur again, Field of Dreams, Glory, Alien, and I think one or two more I can't remember off the top of my head. Asked my Dad if he wanted to see Ben Hur again with me and he said, "Why would you want to see it in the theater again when you can see it on your 60 in. screen at home?" Because when you have the opportunity to see the chariot race on a bigger screen, you take it.:D

12. Ray H

Ray H Producer

Ray
    What are the thoughts on these presentations? I had purchased tickets for The Wizard of Oz and My Fair Lady earlier this year, but something came up and I had to cancel both times. To Kill a Mockingbird is showing tomorrow and Wednesday. So should I expect something better or worse than watching the BD at home? If memory serves, the BD was a little heavier on the DNR than I would've liked. Is it gonna just be the Blu-ray projected on the big screen?

13. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    Not TCM, but I just got back from the Fathom Event for The Karate Kid. They started with a retrospective with new interviews with Ralph Macchio, William Zabka, and Martin Kove. Next they showed a clip and a trailer for season 2 of Cobra Kai. Finally they showed the movie. Everyone had a good time but unfortunately the projector was slightly out of focus.

14. MartinP.

MartinP. Screenwriter

Martin
    A few years ago I saw The Ten Commandments and after the Intermission during the first few minutes the movie all of a sudden pixelated and then skipped about 3 minutes further into the film.

15. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    I've seen them forget to star the pre show and then after people complained that the movie didn't start they had to fast forward to the start of the movie.

16. ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    I also saw it this afternoon and was a little disappointed with the presentation as well. Thought it looked too dim that could have been the projector. It was definitely on the softer side but I think that was how it was shot. Overall if the Fathom site didn't specifically say this was sourced from the new 4k restoration I would have had a hard time believing that it was.

17. Wayne_j

Wayne_j Producer

Wayne
    I've found that almost any non premium screen at my local Regals have either soft focus or are too dim or both. Since coming home I watched The Karate Kid on Blu Ray and although it isn't the sharpest film, it was noticeably more sharp than it was in the theater today. I also have rarely seen obvious grain on non premium screens at my Regals even when I have the disc at home and there is plenty on the disc from the same transfer. My theory is that the theater intentionally sets the projectors out of focus to hide the pixel pattern from the customers.

If projectors are out of focus or too dim it makes no difference if the source file is 2K or 4K.

18. Message #38 of 93 Apr 1, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 1, 2019
    ScottJH

ScottJH Supporting Actor

Scott
    I saw it at an AMC. I'm hoping my local chain gets it through Flashback Cinema soon so I can do a comparison. Another thing I forgot to mention was quite a few panning shots had major judder/stutter. One example was right near the beginning when the camera pans down right before Daniel & his mom take off from Newark in the car. Did you notice that? I'll have to take a look at the current Blu-ray later on today.

19. LeoA

LeoA Cinematographer

Leo
    Are there ever additions to the schedule? I only became aware that these were being shown not too far away from me earlier last year, so I'm not a long-time follower.

Wondering if I'm wasting my time checking the schedule from time to time, since I don't think I've seen anything added to the calendar yet.

20. TravisR

TravisR Studio Mogul

I don't think they have more TCM screenings BUT my local chain periodically adds older movies throughout the year. For instance, The Goonies was just added recently for two days in the middle of this month.

Long story short, I'd keep checking if I were you.

LeoA likes this.