What's new

Taxi Season 4 (1 Viewer)

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
Taxi moved from ABC to NBC in Seasons 4 and 5. (See Post #24)

"Taxi" (1978) - Company credits

Could this have something to do with the non-release of these seasons on DVD? But it says that only Paramount is a distributor, so it's still perplexing.

NBC Universal was formed in 2004.

Still a great mystery to Taxi fans.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
It moved to NBC for it's last season only, and second, the network switch has nothing to do with rights ownership. The show is owned by CBS/Paramount for its full run.

I wish I could remember if S4 has the episode dealing with the death of Jim's father (who had been played by Victor Buono who had also died) where the playing of "You Are The Sunshine Of My Life" is a big deal. (Thank goodness the old Paramount regime got the season out with the big "Lullaby Of Broadway" production number).

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
I so frustrated that if I dont hear anything about season 4 being released,by the end of this month,I'll look into acquiring seasons 4 & 5 by other means.I'm sure those people will be more than glad to answer any questions that are asked them. That episode is in season 5. It's called "Jim's Inheritance" .

Dan*T

Supporting Actor
I still to this day, can't understand why Paramount would have dropped this particular show, when it completed so many others which were never as popular..

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator

And season 4 had the episode that used substantial portions of Billy Joel's "Vienna."

It is my personal belief that music rights costs to both of these songs are what have kept seasons 4 and 5 of Taxi from being released. I presume that the sales and profit margins on the first three seasons were not up to what Paramount feels would justify extra music rights costs that would be incurred by issuing the final two seasons. And the two episodes in question could not be easily re-edited to remove the music, so Paramount is probably at a loss at how to actually get these out there and make whatever profit they feel they need to justify it.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
Good news: Season 5 is set for release December 22. This completes the show.

Here's the report:
http://www.tvshowsondvd.com/news/Taxi-Season-5/12701

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Originally Posted by RoyM ">[/url]

[/QUOTE]
And season 4 had the episode that used substantial portions of Billy Joel's "Vienna."

It is my personal belief that music rights costs to both of these songs are what have kept seasons 4 and 5 of [b]Taxi[/b] from being released. I presume that the sales and profit margins on the first three seasons were not up to what Paramount feels would justify extra music rights costs that would be incurred by issuing the final two seasons. And the two episodes in question could not be easily re-edited to remove the music, so Paramount is probably at a loss at how to actually get these out there and make whatever profit they feel they need to justify it.no Billy Joel on the Vienna episode - also clipped the guitar guy on the plane

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Originally Posted by Corey3rd

no Billy Joel on the Vienna episode - also clipped the guitar guy on the plane
That just goes to show you that CBS/Paramount is the worst studio ever when it comes to securing music rights.

They're like Stephen J. Cannell. Any song they see, they automatically cut, without bothering to figure in how much it would cost. Chances are they could have gotten that Billy Joel song for a good price, and not even know it.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
Originally Posted by vnisanian2001

That just goes to show you that CBS/Paramount is the worst studio ever when it comes to securing music rights.

They're like Stephen J. Cannell. Any song they see, they automatically cut, without bothering to figure in how much it would cost. Chances are they could have gotten that Billy Joel song for a good price, and not even know it.
Billy Joel is going through a divorce. he needs cash

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
I would say yes, that song is a goner. All we have to do is recall the slash and burn approach they did for "The Odd Couple" in S3-5 in which it seemed like no effort was made to see if it was something they could use for minimal to no cost, the whole attitude seemed to be "Uh-oh, song lyrics in dialogue, CUT!"

I will get both seasons nonetheless since I want to see the last of these episodes, and I will admit I am glad the old Paramount regime at least got the show to S3 because I know the current regime would have given the axe to Marilu Henner's great "Lullabuy Of Broadway" number in the hiliarous two part fantasy episode.

Corey3rd

Screenwriter
Real Name
Joe Corey
By the time a DVD series hits the third or later season on DVD, a company should have realistic expectations on sales numbers. It's not going to outsell season one. So the amount of cash that can be spent on music rights is a hard number. There were songs kept in the Odd Couple. But you know that anything that fell outside the budget was slashed.

At least they are going to wrap up all five seasons even with a little clipping.

Jack P

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jack
There was material that didn't have to be cut in "Odd Couple" because in more than one instance a song in public domain fell victim to the slash and burn.

I will never forgive CBS/Paramount for ruining "Strike Up The Band Or Else" with their removal of "Cocktails For Two" the lynchpin to the whole humor of the episode. That marked the first time I got a boot after getting the official release specifically for that episode.

vnisanian2001

Supporting Actor
Speaking of runtimes, did anyone read the review for the season 4 DVD on SitcomsOnline? Among other things, it mentions two episodes JUST UNDER (emphasis on those two words) 23 minutes.

Ouch.

RoyM

Stunt Coordinator
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corey3rd

no Billy Joel on the Vienna episode - also clipped the guitar guy on the plane
Well, that's a major bummer. But I can't say I'm surprised, given that I predicted as much. I guess we can at least be grateful to be getting the rest of the shows from this season (presumably) intact. One ruined episode vs. never getting the other shows is the trade-off, I guess.

I now fully expect that "Jim's Inheritance" will also be edited when Season 5 is released. Which is even more of a shame, because the entire emotional resonance of that episode rested on the inclusion of the Stevie Wonder song. The scene with Jim at the end will not have nearly the impact with the song removed, or some inane replacement filler. Such a pity, because it is one of the finest episodes (and moments) in the entire run of the show .

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Y'know, the big box stores are really driving us to the internet for classic TV Releases.

I hit MovieStop, Target, Wal-Mart, and Best Buy today... no Taxi season 4.

No wonder these older shows don't sell anymore.

But, I guess if they sold well in the first place, we'd be seeing them on store shelves.

Vicious cycle, no?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks