What's new

Taxi Season 4 (2 Viewers)

Stephen Wight

Second Unit
Real Name
Stephen
Pretty much the same thing happened to me.I went to two Wal-Marts and a Dominion and none of them had any copies.I wait four years for this season to be released and,when I go out to buy it,none of the stores have it in stock.Talk about a piss off.I'm dreading the same thing will happen when season 5 is released.

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Originally Posted by Stephen Wight

Pretty much the same thing happened to me.I went to two Wal-Marts and a Dominion and none of them had any copies.I wait four years for this season to be released and,when I go out to buy it,none of the stores have it in stock.Talk about a piss off.I'm dreading the same thing will happen when season 5 is released.
For season 5, I'm not even going to bother with the brick and mortar stores. They want to drive me into the loving arms of Deep Discount or Amazon, so be it. It'll save me gas money.

I'm afraid it's going to be that way from now on with all but the most popular or notable of the classic TV Shows, like season 1 of the Lucy Show. If I don't see it in a Sunday paper, I don't think they're going to have it.

JanuaryMan

Agent
Real Name
Robert
I wonder if the joke about the Yoda doll in "Elegant Iggy" is intact. Cripes, they'll probably cut Jim's made-up "Bob Newhart Show" theme song too.

David Rain

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dave
Why is anyone surprised that stores are stocking titles like this ? That's been going on for years. If you don't go in looking for Battlestar Galactica then you're out of luck.

Bungnoid

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
In "Elegant Iggy," they left the Yoda doll in, but they cut out some of Jim's piano playing at the party. After the classical music piece, originally there was a scene where he was playing some other songs on the piano and he and some of the party guests were singing along. That was cut, although a brief flash of it was shown in the closing credits. The ending of the episode seemed rather abrupt because of the cuts.

Bungnoid

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
I think that you are correct, but it has been too many years since I saw the unedited version for me to remember the specific song(s).

Does anyone recognize the classical piece that he played? Sorry for my ignorance, but I am not knowledgeable about that genre of music.

chas speed

Second Unit
Real Name
jeff
They were standard classic songs of the 30's and 40's. It's too bad that really hurt the episode. You don't really get the fact that Jim was the hit of the party as much with that scene missing.

Keith I

FoS
Real Name
Keith
It's not going to replace DVD, but check out The Taxi Channel on YouTube. The episodes are uncut (except for the cuts the moderator made as they seem to be recorded off a video camera pointed at a TV) like "Vienna Waits, "Jim's Inheritance" and "Elegant Iggy." Type the episode name(s) in the Search box.

Sam Favate

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sam Favate
I have to say that I am enjoying the hell out of season 4. I haven't seen these since they aired (circa 1981) and I am just happy to have them on DVD. Of course, I wish cuts and edits weren't included, but I guess if we want the show, we have to take what we can get. Does that sound defeated? I guess it does, but four years is a long time to wait between seasons of a show.

Bungnoid

Auditioning
Real Name
Robert
OK, thanks for the link to the Taxi Channel. From watching the version of "Elegant Iggy" there, and with a Google search, I was able to identify the song that was cut from the DVD version as "Two Sleepy People" (1938) by Hoagy Carmichael. Also, I was able to identify the classical piece as Chopin's Impromptu #4 In C Sharp Minor, Op. 66, "Fantasie Impromptu."

Perhaps someday we'll be able to buy the original uncut versions of the show...

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
Well, it's Taxi season 5 day.

There's a review out there that states that there are music replacements, but "You Are The Sunshine" is still intact.

I'd like to bump this thread so anyone who gets the set can confirm or deny this as quickly as possible.

With any luck, after I dig out from under the massive amount of snow dumped on VA over the weekend, my copy will be waiting for me tomorrowat the place I pre-ordered it.

BTW: Here's the URL for that review, take it as you will, I'll believe it when I see it but I hope the review is correct.

http://movies.insidepulse.com/2009/12/15/taxi-the-final-season-dvd-review/

The Obsolete Man

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
First off, "Jim's Inheritance" is intact. "You Are The Sunshine" made it in.

Disc 1, all episodes are between 24:10 and 23:59.
Disc 2, All episodes are between those times except Elaine and the Monk (23:47), Sugar Ray Nardo (23:31) and A Taxi Celebration (21:59?!)
Disc 3, A Taxi Celebration part 2 (22:19), Alex Gets Burned By An Old Flame (23:54... possibly uncut), Louie and the Blind Girl (23:23), Jim's Mario's (23:40) . Anything I haven't named on Disc 3 is at the 24 minutes and a few seconds mark.

Can't tell you anything about music substitution, haven't gotten into the discs yet. Just checked times. All I can confirm is that the one piece of music we all feared would go, stayed.

And as for those clip shows... wonder what's up with that? Was that originally an hourlong episode, were chunks taken out of them, what?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks