What's new

Tarantino on Blu Ray (1 Viewer)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
A quick preamble before the actual post. I was totally blown away by getting a blu ray player for Christmas. I was actually a little in a no-man's land about formats. Why mention this? Because I must admit I'm clueless about releases and such. Which brings me to my question.

Most if not all of Quentin Tarantino's movies are on Blu Ray. I am trying to play things smart this time and not double dip unless I absolutely have to.

Since I have the DVD's and now the INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS blu ray I can be patient for other releases. I noticed that the RESERVOIR DOGS blu ray is very cheap but is the 15 year edition. With the 20 year anniversary coming up, is it better to wait?

I am all for upgrading from DVD but I don't want to run out and have the upgrades upgraded within a year.

I will probably hold out to see if a theatrical cut of GRINDHOUSE ever makes it with the individual movie versions. Not sure if it is asking too much that KILL BILL 1 &2 would be with "THE WHOLE BLOODY AFFAIR" if and when that comes out.

So with a nice gift certificate coming that I could possibly use for movies, does anybody recamend picking up what out there now? In addition to the Tarantino directed movies, I guess I'm looking at TRUE ROMANCE and NATURAL BORN KILLERS as well.

Thanks! I haven't posted in a while. I feel better now. lol!

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Hi Matthew - glad to help you out since I'm sort of new to the Blu-ray world myself. Here's my take on the situation. The Kill Bill and Grindhouse flicks are readily available as you know and they're supposed to be reference-quality discs but since I don't own them myself I can't recommend them. Personally, I'm waiting for some kind of news on a re-issue of these particular films. Word on the street is that the Weinsteins (current owners of the properties) are out of money, which translates into uncertainty regarding future upgrades/reissues. This situation, for me, is very frustrating because I don't want to waste money double-dipping. At the same time, I'm tempted to buy the current editions because of the high quality of the transfers and all this uncertainty. I don't want to wait years for an ultimate edition. If Amazon has a sale on these I think I'll just break down and get them. Pulp Fiction is not available yet on BD but when it does make an appearance rest assured it will be reference quality because they are distributed by Disney/Buena Vista and they are currently number one in the picture quality department. Reservoir Dogs is distributed by Lionsgate. I haven't read any reviews but this studio is hit or miss - mostly miss. Their transfers are inconsistent and they don't always carry over all the extras from older DVDs so tread with caution. It ultimately comes down to the studio distributing the movie. Hope this helps!

TravisR

Senior HTF Member
I have all available Blu-rays of Tarantino's movies and they all look pretty good to me. Reservoir Dogs isn't demo material or anything but I doubt it ever will be.

As far as re-releases, the long version of Kill Bill and theatrical cut of Grindhouse (though the extended version of Death Proof is, by far, better than the massively edited theatrical cut) will probably come out at some point but who knows when. Since they have pretty solid releases, True Romance and Natural Born Killers seem pretty unlikely for a re-release any time soon (especially NBK since it's already had two releases).

JediFonger

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
YiFeng You
true romance is 10 @amazon, u can't beat that =). esp. if u have amazon prime.

Jim_K

Senior HTF Member
I have all of the Tarantino directed films that are available on Blu-ray. Also have True Romance, Sin City and From Dusk til Dawn. All were upgrades from the DVD versions and I'm satisfied with all of them.

Just need Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown to come to BD to round out my collection.

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Pulp Fiction is available on Blu-Ray in Denmark, and there's no region coding. I've been tempted to get it because the reviews were quite good, but the $40 price tag has kept me from getting it. I know as soon as it would be en route to me, Buena Vista would announce a North American release.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I'd swear I've already seen something about a US release of Pulp Fiction. I even remember seeing cover art, which had a thick black border and the classic image of Uma in the center. I don't remember taking note of the date, though.

I don't usually visit any home theater/Blu-ray websites except for the HTF and The Digital Bits, so this would probably have been on one of the two. I dunno, maybe my memory is just playing tricks on me.

Stephen_J_H

All Things Film Junkie
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Stephen J. Hill
There's a Miramax blurb on the BD of Doubt which says "Now available on DVD and coming soon to Blu-Ray," but I haven't seen anything other tha that.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Thanks for all the great information. I may wait on the GRINDHOUSE movies until MACHETE is someday released just in case there is a tie in. I think that is filming now if not done already.

TRUE ROMANCE at $10 I don't think I can pass up. Would love if they included the theatrical release with the director's cut though. I love catching the differences. It's been on Encore or Starz lately so I got to see it in HD even though I think they cropped it a bit.

If the Weinstein's go bankrupt I am sure somebody else will wind up releasing some of the movies at some point. I know INGLOURIOUS BASTERDS was one they really needed to be a hit keep them afloat.

I'll wait for the price to come down on FROM DUSK TILL DAWN. I'll wait for PULP FICTION and JACKIE BROWN.

Now I have to see what's out there for Robert Rodriguez.

Ruz-El

Fake Shemp
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Russell
Not sure about the states, but here in Canada you can get a couple of boxsets:

Kill Bill 1/Kill Bill 2/From Dusk Till Dawn

Death Proof / Planet Terror / Sin City: Premium Series

$30 bucks each. I'm thinking of grabbing them since I'm a fan of all the films, and as said before, who knows when the Kill Bill and Grindhouse special releases will get a release. $10 bucks a disc is a pretty good deal :)

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
Reservoir Dogs and True Romance both went up a couple of dollars on Amazon today. I should have gotten them this morning when they were cheaper.

cineMANIAC

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Luis
Gotta tell you DVD producers in the U.S. don't have any imagination whatsoever when it comes to putting together DVDs. Look at what the Japanese came up with for the Grindhouse movies- an awesome 6-disc box resembling the Blade Runner briefcase. And it was the actual full Grindhouse experience complete with the fake trailers. I'm not gonna sit around waiting for the Weinsteins to get off their asses and release something whenever they feel like it so I picked up the regular Blu-ray versions of the separate films. I may cave and buy the Kill Bill discs as well. Tarantino led us to believe he would get on the Whole Bloody Affair after he was done introducing Inglourious Basterds but, here we are in January and still no word.

cafink

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Carl Fink
I have that Japanese Grindhouse release, Luis, and it is pretty sweet. I didn't catch Grindhouse in the theaters, so I was excited to finally be able to see the fake trailers. I'm hoping for an analogous Blu-ray release, but I don't imagine we'll get one here in the US.

Matthew Brown

Supporting Actor
I almost picked up that Japanese box set for Grindhouse. I already had the seperate movies and the price was high for just wanting the theatrical release. It was on STARZ at least.

I have the Japanese boxsets of the Kill Bill DVD's and I love those with the extras and little goodies, like shirts and miniature swords.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks