What's new

Tank Girl DTS LD???? (1 Viewer)

Grant B

Senior HTF Member
I was going through my collection yesterday and noticed that on the back of tank girl it says it is in DTS surround sound.

Trying it with DTS decoding gives me NADA...my preamp says it is in Dolby Pro Logic (Not AC3)

Anyone else have it or knows what is up?

Also the DTS is not in the normally bold capital letters but small case scroll letters

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
DTS also had (has?) a stereo matrix format, similar to Dolby Surround/ Pro-logic. That way, a company (Universal?) could release a film print that had DTS analog and digital, and not pay any fees to Dolby. Since "Tank Girl" isn't on the list of Dolby encoded films (http://www.dolby.com/cgi-bin/rbox/se...codedfilms.cgi), I'm 99% sure this is the case.
So the "DTS Surround" on the laserdisc refers to the matrix encoding of the stereo tracks, which should be decoded with any Dolby Pro-Logic (or Pro-Logic II) decoder.

Scott Simonian

Screenwriter
Tank Girl was never released in DTS at home. It is a Columbia/Tristar release if Im correct. CTHV did not do DTS until the release of Men In Black, and that was dvd. CTHV never did DTS on Laserdisc.

As for the label, it probably meant the theatrical track. Like at the end of trailers.

Bill McA

Senior HTF Member
I have this LD and it is indeed DTS...DTS stereo that is.
The different DTS logo that was used was only used for stereo mixes.
There were a few other DTS stereo LDs produced...Wes Craven's New Nightmare was another.
And like the Tank Girl DVD, the LD is from MGM...not Columbia!

Christian Dolan

Stunt Coordinator
DTS also made a provision for digital stereo (2 channel) playback in theaters that were not fully equipped for 5.1. Both 2 and 6 (5.1) channel soundtracks were encoded on the DTS CD-ROM discs that accompany each DTS encoded film print at that time (mid 90's).

-Christian

Marty Christion

Stunt Coordinator
The theatrical DTS stereo discs, with stereo tracks on an external CD-ROM, were discontinued shortly after their introduction in '93, and were no longer in use when Tank Girl came out in '95.
As I said earlier, the DTS logo on the Tank Girl laserdisc is referring to matrix encoding on the PCM 44.1Khz digital soundtrack; there is no DTS digital compression (or decoding) at work.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks