What's new

Talkshows: When in HD? (Merged) (1 Viewer)

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
When will the following popular programming will be in HD?

David Letterman
Conan O'Brian
SNL
Today
Early Show

to me it looks like most of the NY Based shows are not in HD.

is that so?
anyone?

PerryD

Supporting Actor
NBC's Entire Late Night Lineup and Holiday Specials to be Upgraded for Presentation in High Definition HDTV in 2005

BURBANK - December 13, 2004 - NBC, which was the first network to broadcast a nightly series in high-definition television with "The Tonight Show with Jay Leno" in 1999, will upgrade the rest of the network's top-rated late-night lineup into HDTV in 2005, it was announced today by Jeff Zucker, President, NBC Universal Television Group.

"NBC has always been the late-night leader in more ways than one and this progression to high-definition television is the next logical step," said Zucker. "Our viewers will be the primary beneficiaries of this ongoing technology which will complement the creative quality of each program."

In addition, two of the network's annual signature holiday specials - "The Macy's Fourth of July Fireworks Spectacular" and "The Macy's Thanksgiving Day Parade" -- also will be broadcast in HD beginning in 2005.

The late-night conversion is scheduled to begin in April 2005 when NBC's "Late Night with Conan O'Brien" converts to HDTV. "Saturday Night Live" follows when the series returns for its 2005-06 season premiere in the Fall as will "Last Call with Carson Daly" which shares "SNL's" studio - 30 Rockefeller Plaza's legendary Studio 8H.

kumar

Stunt Coordinator
great news!

If Leno was in HD since 1999, wonder why it took over 6 years for Letterman to upgrade his studios.

great info folks. Thanks

Chris Huber

Second Unit
Why isn't Dave Letterman in Widescreen? It also doesn't look as sharp as Jay Leno either. Is it just the cameras they use on CBS or soemthing? I wonder why they havn't made the change...

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
The writing isn't as sharp either. :D

Seriously, I believe NBC got the HD cameras for the Tonight Show for free, but I can't remember the reason. Personally, I like Jay much better but Dave ought to be in HD too.

teapot2001

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Thi
Fans of Springer are still using TV's without remote controls, with one of the antennas wrapped with aluminum foil and the other held in position by a family member. :)

~T

Brent M

Senior HTF Member
I know this is an HD thread, but I just can't believe someone(especially someone from Indy) would think Jay's writing is better than Dave's. Hell, all Leno does is copy most of the skits Dave has already done. OK, now back to the original topic at hand.

Vince Maskeeper

Senior HTF Member

Uh, because Letterman isn't in HD yet. That would be the obvious reason it's not widescreen, nor as sharp, as Leno is HD and Letterman is not, as far as I know.

-V

Jeff Adkins

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jeff Adkins
Well, it isn't just me. According to this article:

"This season, both late-night hosts have increased their audiences, but Leno's margin of victory has gotten wider. Leno is averaging 6.2 million viewers a night this season, and Letterman is at 4.4 million, according to Nielsen Media Research."

Just because I'm from Indy doesn't mean I have to like Letterman blindly. I loved him at NBC and the first few years at CBS (I even went to a taping in 1995) but thought his show has grown very tired over the last 5 years. I never thought I would think this, but I really think Jay's show is funnier.

Getting back on topic, The Tonight Show looks terrific in HD and I will certainly sample Letterman from time to time once he goes HD. I'm surprised that things like Arena Football are often shown HD, but not Letterman, Conan or Kimmel.

Rich Malloy

Senior HTF Member
So, does Conan start broadcasting in HD on the first of April, or just sometime "in April"?

I used to love Dave (simply could not care less for Jay... and I'm from Boston!), but if I'm not sleeping I'm tuned into Conan. Also John Stewart, but I suspect we're quite a ways away from Comedy Central going Hi-Def.

Mike Slade

Second Unit
This was in the Late Show Newsletter this week:

LS IN HD: Crews are currently at work within the Ed Sullivan Theater to transition the LATE SHOW's technical facilities to new high definition broadcast equipment. The show's control room will temporarily relocate to a special remote truck on 53rd Street while the theater is rewired for the show's HD premiere in the Fall...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks