What's new

TAE9000ES too bright, would EQ help? (1 Viewer)

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
I haven't been playing around with the EQ built-in to TAE9000ES, but I found the 9000ES too bright for my taste for 2-ch music. I have no experience in adjusting EQ so I don't know where to start.

I can understand the final adjustments would be depending on the room but I'd like some pointers as to what frequency should I start messing around with? Thanks,

Simon

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
How about listing your associated equipment,,,speakers and amp, what source (DVD player cd player), are you using analog inputs to the e9000es or digital? Also, what version is the e9000es running (should be at least 2.01).

First, you should check the toe-in for the speakers. Too much of that will accentuate the brightness. Also, describe your sub etc, do you use small/large settings on the speakers.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
I'd be directing my investigations toward the speaker placements and taking a good look at the room to see if there are some room/speaker issues that need to addressed. The perception of brightness can be strongly influenced by unwanted reflections.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
FWIW, I had the TA-E9000ES for 4 years. I never found it to be "bright"... Very neutral I always thought.

John Royster

Screenwriter
bingo on what chu said.

Try to keep the speakers away from side walls. Play with toe-in.

what's happening lately Chu? We're agreeing on our posts.:D

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
Hi guys,

Thanks for the replies. Here's what I have for speakers:

ML Aeon as fronts
ML Cinema as center
ML Script as surrounds
ML Descent as sub

All speakers are set to small and they all cross at 80Hz.

And here's the equipment list:

Sony CDP-350 CD Changer
Sony DVP-850 DVD Changer
Panasonic RP-82 DVD Player
Sony TAE-9000ES Pre/Pro
Aragon 2005 5-ch Amp
Sony 34" 16:9 XBR HDTV

All connections to the TAE are digital (either coax or optical) and I've listened to both analog and digital before, I couldn't really tell the difference.

I bought the 2.01 upgrade and later on I found the 2.5 on the net which now I have for the TAE9000ES. Again, no sonic difference I can tell. The 2.5 as far as I know it adds a new decoding format for Japan dish network and that's about it.

The front speakers are toe-in and they face directly to the prime listening position (center of the TV screen). This provides me the best imaging according to my ears. If I remember correctly, the brightness was there even before I toe-in the speakers.

I'll try "not" to toe-it too much and hear if it makes any difference. However, I sit pretty much against the back wall so I believe it adds some taste to the sound. My surrounds are mounted on the side and the height is according to MartinLogan.

The center channel is on top of the TV with slightly tilted downward so it faces right at the ear level. This provides the best sound to me.

One speaker is against the side wall so that could be adding some bad sound overall but I can't really move around the right speaker anymore.

My room is about 12x15.

Thanks for your input,

Simon

John Royster

Screenwriter
Well then, if your ears tell you its bright...then that could very well be the case in your room.

However sitting up against a wall with martin logan's might not be a good idea. Can you try draping the rear wall with a blanket just to tame down the sound a bit? Or possibly moving your listening postion into the room just a little bit? Martin Logans have a very small sweet spot so evern a small adjustment on any speaker can have a radical impact.

It could help you learn more about your room if nothing else. Try to keep those logan's out into the room somewhat, you don't have to worry too much about side reflections with 'em.

Martin logan generally recommends listening to the inner 1/3 of the panel so you could try not so much toe-in, but a lot of that will be your personal preference between pinpoint imaging and a wide/deep soundstage.

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
we probably agree on more things than that...some of it is perspective...how're you making out with yours John? Ever get that amp to drive those?

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
Hi John,

Thanks for your response. I thought of getting a carpet that looks good on wall but I just haven't had a chance to put my mind together to get one. If I do get a blanket/carpet, would the thicker materials help? I have some nice area-rug with raised pattern in other rooms. I was thinking of something like that since it should absorb some frequency. What size should I be looking at and how high should I mount it on the wall? The front speakers are about 7'-8' apart.

I'll try moving the speakers a bit to see if it makes any difference. Thanks again for the input,

Simon

Chu Gai

Senior HTF Member
as opposed to a carpet, consider making a post over at the DIY area here. likely you'll get some responses on how to build panels along with website links that contain pictures to illustrate the construction detail. I used to have a list of those, but....

Shane Martin

Senior HTF Member
I've heard the 9000es alot and don't find it to be bright at all.
All connections to the TAE are digital (either coax or optical) and I've listened to both analog and digital before, I couldn't really tell the difference.
The 9000es doesn't have an analog section. It's an all digital unit. There is no way to bypass the internal dacs thus no difference.

It very well could be your room but positioning is possible as well.

Charles Gurganus

Supporting Actor
Of course there will some difference in using the digital vs analog connections. You get an extra DA conversion using the analog connections. :D Of course I know Shane know this already, just throwing it out here.

John Royster

Screenwriter
Simon,

I was really talking about playing around a little bit with your room. Any blanket will tame the highs somewhat. It won't be pretty but you could start to understand your room.

Some "general" recomendations for 'logans.

1) ficus tree behind the main speakers (sounds stupid) but it is a decent and cheap difuser. More professional diffuser.
2) live end/dead end. Deaden up the rear wall some.
3) ceiling and floor treatments don't do much due to the highly directed wave launch of the logan panels (you'll hear very little sound above and below the panel)

Chu - Yes, I purchased a used aragon 8008bb amplifier. Wonderful. Really seems to take control of the speakers with wimping out like the HK and adcom did.

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
I've never had Martin Logan's before, but I've always had good luck with 25 - 50% toe in, but not 100% (pointing directly at you).

Couch up against the back wall is usually bad for bass response, but not so bad for top end or brightness. (Same reason why a typical speaker up against a wall gets boomy.)

Simon Ngan

Stunt Coordinator
Thank you guys for the info. Looks like I'll have a busy weekend getting this problem sorted out.

I'm also thinking of getting an ATI All-In-Wonder Radeon 8500DV for my PC in the HT room. It's not a HTPC but I do use it for CDJ/SLink and Homeseer. I started a thread in the HTPC forum as I don't think it's appropriate to discuss it here.

Let me know your advise if you happen to have one of these card. Thanks,

Simon

Kevin C Brown

Senior HTF Member
Since this is an "active" Sony thread, I don't supposed anyone here has ever heard about any rumored successor to the TA-E9000ES? :)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks