What's new

Synergy (1 Viewer)

Red Spencer

Agent
I will post this here first, as it might be basic in theory, and I just don't know it.

What part does synergy play in the whole, when it comes to componants,cables, and speakers. I went to a really classy hi-fi retailer (the kind that don't try and sell you anything) and their perception was synergy plays a signifigant role in your total sound. And if this be true, then how do you know which manufactures synergize best with each other.

Jonathan Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I think most would agree that synergy of the system is very important to the overall sound. Specs on equipment can help you a little bit, e.g. matching sensitivity of loudspeakers to amplifier output power. I think that listening tests are the best way to see if components work well with one another. Asking questions on forums such as HTF can help you because it is very likely that someone else has tried the combination you are thinking about and can provide feedback.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I think synergy is a much more subtle thing than matching impedence or sensitivity to a certain amount of power or any kind of written specs. To me synergy is not just how a particular speaker sounds with a specific receiver, but how it sounds to you. Each person hears something different, and in most cases, is listening for something different.

I did a lot of listening to friend's systems, and found that I preferred the sound of Marantz integrated receivers, regardless of speakers, so that is what I ended up buying. I was already a fan of Paradigm for many years, and it just so happens that they pair well with Marantz. I also feel B&W pair nicely with Marantz, but I already had some older Paradigms, so I stuck with them.

Plenty of people like Yamaha, but I do not. Only their most expensive stuff really got my attention. That's just my taste.

Listening is the key to finding what you like, you can't entirely trust someone else's ears, because your opinion may be different.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks