What's new

Netflix Sweet Tooth (1 Viewer)

spshultz

Supporting Actor
Real Name
John Ratzen
I know nothing of this comic but wow, for what ever reason, that hit me hard right in the feels. It looks fantastic.

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Just finished the first season, which is one of the strongest in quite some time. The show takes place in an incredibly bleak post-apocalyptic world, with some really horrible events, but the show itself is not bleak. Basing the entire thing around a ten-year-old is an iffy proposition at the best of times, but Christian Convery, in the title role, is more than up to the challenge. And he has great support in Nonso Anozie and Stefania LaVie Owen as his de facto guardians.

And as a show that begins in Yellowstone National Park, it reminded me a bit of The Postman in that it's a post-apocalyptic story with grand sweeping vistas of the American West (in this case, mostly New Zealand). The apocalypse has been horrible for humanity but pretty great for nature.

Some shows have seasons that are designed to be self-contained; this is not one of them. The finale ends on multiple cliffhangers which I hope we'll get a second season to see resolved.

Also, James Brolin is pitch perfect as the narrator.

Chris Will

Screenwriter
Real Name
Chris WIlliams
This one looks interesting but, Netflix seems cancel happy lately which makes it hard for me to want to get invested in one of their shows. My mindset is becoming more of a wait and see if it survives for a handful of season and then give it a chance.

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
This is a fantastic, incredible show so far (5 epidodes in). I'll watch an episode and it seems like a fairy tale, then it turns edge of your seat exciting as if some writer from Ozark or Breaking Bad showed up. But it is (so far) suitable for most ages which will help it be more widely seen. Very little bad language, no agendas being pushed, violence is not graphic, but it is intense.

I suspect it will do very well and generate at least one more season to conclude the story. I haven't seen how the first season ends yet obviously, but I would think the series will be better served as a short 2-, maybe 3-, season kind of thing, and set it into production very quickly since the star is so young. If he ages up too much it will likely lose something.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Sweet Tooth was an airplane show for me in 2021. I was pleasantly surprised by it. I keep threatening to make my wife watch it with me, but there’s so much else that I have a hard time getting back to it.

Maybe when S2 debuts I will rewatch S1 with her and then go on to S2.

compson

Second Unit
Real Name
Robert

David Deeb

Screenwriter
Real Name
David
This is a surprise. I loved this original season and hope this one will be just as good. One of my favorites, and most original of the past few years.

Jason Goodmanson

Second Unit
Real Name
Jason
If you haven't read the source material, I highly recommend it. It has one of the most disturbing/memorable villains that I've read in comics (maybe in books too?) in ages. Just a nasty nasty person.

I haven't read the sequels yet - which reminds me to look up those collections.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I’m rewatching season 1 with my wife, who hasn’t see it yet, to get ready for season 2. But it’s “backup” TV for when we’re in between new releases. So I won’t get to the new season at release date. But expect to be watching this summer at least.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
Finished watching Season 1 with my wife on Tuesday. Watched S2E1 last night. Pretty good. Season one is a “family“ show (It’s The Last of Us, but you know, for kids), but it doesn’t feel “kiddy”. The intro to Season 2 had much stronger “kiddy” show vibes that I’m not into, especially in the beginning half in the Pump Room. That wasn’t the totality of it, and I remain interested and curious where the story goes.

I am confused over the thematic and plot importance of Hybrids who can talk. The first half of Season 1, it’s shown that it’s amazing and unique that Gus can talk. Then that is lessened in the second half of Season 1. Now in Season 2’s first episode, this seems nearly inconsequential and yet it’s still treated as if it’s unique.

It feels like the writers didn’t know what story they were telling on the fly in Season 1, in this detail, and still haven’t figured it out. This detail, I don’t get it.

Sean Bryan

Sean Bryan
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Sean
It feels like the writers didn’t know what story they were telling on the fly in Season 1, in this detail, and still haven’t figured it out. This detail, I don’t get it.
I have no idea how closely they are adapting the source material, but this is an adaptation. So they “should” understand the story and where it’s going.

DaveF

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dave
I have no idea how closely they are adapting the source material, but this is an adaptation. So they “should” understand the story and where it’s going.
Yep, which is also part of my confusion

Hopefully S2 expands and explains this aspect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks