What's new

SVS PB12-Ultra/2 in a small bedroom? (1 Viewer)

Kenneth Harden

Screenwriter
LOL, I was thinking, if that subwoofer was corner loaded in a 13' X 14' X 9' bedroom, what would it do? My Klipsch SUB-12 can do some serious work, but this thing would probably be fatal :D

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Probably :) Never can tell though, room modes can affect the percieved output and it might actually not be as deadly as it would seem. There's a member here, Brian, who has dual 16-46s in a room about that size and his skull hasn't been crushed yet :D

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
I have dual Ultra/2 in a 12x18x8 room (with attached small foyer and open stairwell) and it's not overkill in the least.

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Or, for about $1,200 less than 1 Ultra/2, you could get an HSU VTF-3HO with the Turbo by pre-ordering at the $950 delivered price.

Ed spends a good bit of time over at the AVS forum where a lot of people who take their bass very seriously hang out. After a year or so of reading about multi-sub applications and headroom, etc., Ed finally succumbed to temtation added a second Ultra/2. Apparently, he has enough headroom... for now :)

Ed

Would you mind posting a pic or 2 of your room. I would love to see how you placed the 2nd Ultra/2. If you are not in the mood to post a pic, a description would be nice.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member

Or for about $1200 less than a single Ultra/2, you could also get a Plus/2 and come within spitting distance of the Ultra/2's total performance. The Ultra/2 is not the best performance value in the SVS line-up, clearly.

Here is the layout: Rocket 850, Ultra/2, equipment rack topped by Rocket 200, Ultra/2, Rocket 850. kgveteran at AVS has seen/heard the set-up; PM him for details if you want.

Bill Mullin

Stunt Coordinator
I once had a 16-46PC+ in a 9x12 bedroom. After calibrating the sound with a Radio Shack SPL and Avia, it sounded sensational!

Arthur S

Senior HTF Member
Ed

I agree with this part of your statement,
"... a Plus/2 and come within spitting distance of the Ultra/2's total performance. The Ultra/2 is not the best performance value in the SVS line-up clearly."

I just can't figure out your math.

Ultra/2 in black $2150 delivered.
Plus/2 in black: $1300 delivered. Difference $850, not even close to the $1200 you came up with.

For a guy who is so precise about most things, this is curious.

I know you are under attack from someone as I received a PM from him. I didn't even read most of it.

I have had personal dealings (mailed you a copy of a review and tried to arrange a sub test on a venerable old product) with you and consider myself a friendly acquiantance.

If you can get me a black Plus/2 for $1200 less than a black Ultra/2, I'll take it.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
You are of course correct Arthur - for some reason I had $1,200 and $2,400 stuck in my head as the prices for these two subs.

If my intentions were to obfuscate, this would have been a bad choice, as the prices are easily reached at www.svsound.com so you'll just have to chalk it up to CRS disease. ;)

As for 'johnlarson' (he goes by several screen names at various forums), he has a long standing hatred for SVS and (more recently) me. He PMs just about anyone he hopes will listen and bad mouths me. You aren't the first one to tell me this, I can assure you of that. Everyone recognizes him for what he really is - a petulant and small-minded troll with a bad case of OCD and MPD who will never amount to anything in life. I suppose we all pick up barnacles along the way....

Regardless, yes - we are certainly on good terms and I see no reason for that to change. I'm glad you are excited about the VTF-3HO; we all are. And - for all you bench racers out there - once someone tests it outside at 2 meters, we will all see how it stacks up against its similarly priced competition. For those who aren't interested in "the numbers", I'm sure there will be reviews from professionals and consumers alike with plenty of subjective impressions. Prelim reports from CES are very positive, and I see no reason for that to change once the HO starts shipping.

Regardless, my point in the previous post is that the Ultra/2 is a poor candidate for defining performance value in the SVS line-up. The natural model to compare to the HO is the PB12-Plus. The regular price for the HO with turbo will be $999 + shipping. That falls in nicely with the PB12-Plus at $899-$1,099 (depending on finish) + shipping.

It seems Craig Chase is intending to compare it to the PB12-Plus/2 @ $1,199-$1,499 + shipping, which would seem like a bit of a mismatch (at least above 20 Hz) but w/e - if nothing else it will make for good reading; Craig is always entertaining and interesting. :)

Regards,

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks