What's new

SVS PB-1ISD Connection.... (1 Viewer)

John Doh

Stunt Coordinator
I am going to run the subwoofer cable into the wall, over the ceiling and back down the rear wall to connect to the PB-1ISD. What is the best solution for connecting it to my HK AVR230?

I am looking at a blown-up image of the rear of this sub, and there are high level inputs/outputs and low level input/outputs. What it all mean? I have never owned a sub with this many connection options before, so be gentle. My current sub for my old HTIB has one plug, that's all! Help!

John Robert

Stunt Coordinator
The all "John" thread...

You will simply connect the subwoofer output from your HK to the low level (or "LFE") input on your sub.

The previous poster's (Hi John!) source is a good one. You can also get inexpensive sub cables at accessories4less.com

Mike_Morgan

Stunt Coordinator
I ran a length of RG6 coax from my equiment closet, through the crawl space, over to the sub location and terminated it with F to RCA screw on adapters. It is a REAL cheap alternative to the custom made cables, and I'd say nearly as good. FWIW

Mike

Bob Kavanaugh

Second Unit
For a sub, I’d say as good.
I dunno about that. My experience with F to RCA adapters and runs of coax for sub cables has been bad. Look out for buzzing if you go this route. I'm not sure where the buzzing comes from, a loose connection somewhere in the line though.

On the other hand, if you get lucky and have a tight fit, it can't be beat.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Mike,

What you might do is have the Forum create a web page for you. You can list your gear there (even post some pictures) and then use the link in your sig. Here’s the link – the icon for it is located on the main index page as “theaters.”
http://www.hometheaterforum.com/htfo...rm&userid=5886

Bob,
Look out for buzzing if you go this route. I'm not sure where the buzzing comes from, a loose connection somewhere in the line though.
The terminations make or break coaxial connections. It’s been estimated that something like 80% of all coaxial cables are terminated improperly. If you can’t afford a first-class “F” crimper (don’t waste your money on one that costs less than $50), go with twist-on connectors. I’ve had good luck with them.

Regards,
Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Stephen Hopkins

HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
I wouldn't quite rule out anything below $50. The Paladin 8000 crimp handle is available online for around $22 and another $21 for the appropriate die. I was able to get all the tooling i needed (Crimp handle, die, 3 blade stripper) to build Canare 5CFB based component, sub, and digital coax cables for under $60 (compared to around $250 for the same type tools from Canare). Although the canare stripper is alot better, the paladin gets the job done at around 10% the price.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks