SVS Calibration help needed, needle jumping all over!

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by Ryan_C, Mar 16, 2002.

1. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

Gang,
    I just got my first sub, an SVS 20-39 CS+ (OMG is all I can say[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] ) but I am having trouble calibrating it. I did a search, but couldn't find an answer.
    I am using Avia, and have all 5 surround speakers set to 85 dB. I am using the alternating pink noise for the mains/sub to calibrate, as suggested by others. I believe I am using the left main, but I don't guess that matters much.
    At any rate, the needle on the SPL meter bounces back and forth like a pogo stick. And yes, the meter is on slow response with C weighting. I tried putting at an "average" of where the needle is bouncing, but is there any simple way to make the reading a bit more stable even with the meter's decreased sensitivity to low frequencies? Any help here would be appreciated, thanks.

2. Steve Zimmerman

Steve Zimmerman Second Unit

Does the needle bounce even when the SPL meter is resting on a coffee table (ie. not in your hand)? If you have "standing waves" in your listening area then moving the meter even a half inch forward can change the reading.

--Steve

3. Vince Maskeeper

Vince Maskeeper Producer

4. Ryan_C

Ryan_C Second Unit

Steve,

I do have the meter sitting on a flat surface, so it is stable, but I will try calibrating it again and move the meter around a bit to see if that works.

Vince,

Thanks for that thread. I did read that, but wasn't sure whether the needle fluctuated that much for everyone or just in some cases.

Thanks again guys!

5. Jared W

Jared W Auditioning

I actually had the same problem with my meter. The needle was bouncing around like crazy, then when I would rotate the dial it would seem to not register anything even on the lowest scale setting. anyways.. I took it back to RS and got a new one. No problems now =)

I was new to the SPL meter too. I went crazy trying to use it for like a week. So before you go crazy trying to get it to work right you might make sure it is working right. They actually had to get out a 2nd one before I got one that worked right.

6. Troy_K

Troy_K Stunt Coordinator

In my old room, my sub did that, too. I could never get close to getting a reading with my meter, so had to set by ear. I had tons of loud bass in that room, but it was pretty boomy, and very high peak in the 40hz range or so. When I moved to a different room, my needle nearly froze during measurements just like perfection. I'm guessing you are getting some serious environmental things going on resulting in a very peaky FR. Try relocating your sub or listening position and re-measuring.

Troy