What's new

SVS 25-31CS vs. SonySAWM40 (1 Viewer)

Norman L

Second Unit
I bought the Sony SAWM40 before I knew about SVS. My decision was based on reviews, that the Sony for the price, was as good as any $500 Sub on the market.

Has anyone upgrade from the Sony to an SVS or heard an actual comparision?

Your comments please, since I have 20 days left to return the sony.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Before this gets out of hand, I will tell you to take back the Sony and get the SVS if at all possible.

Dennis Heller

Second Unit
I went from the Sony to a 20-39 PCi. I agree, if these are the only two you are considering, get the SVS. Louder, lower, cleaner, better.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
Before this gets out of hand
What I meant was, in about 1 hour when all the SVS owners read this post there will be about 80 posts that tell you to take back the Sony and get the SVS. And they are all correct, the SVS will dominate the Sony in every possible bass category.

Don't get me wrong, the Sony is a good sub, I have it. I would say its the best sub in the $200 range, not $500. Once you get to $500, you get into SVS range.

Hope this helps.

Oh, and welcome to the forum! You will find many people with great advice!

KonradN

Stunt Coordinator
if you can get the sony for 139 shipped then it is the best subwoofer at that price point. For 150 + shipping you can pick up a remanufactured jbl psw d112 that will outperform the sony.

Norman L

Second Unit
Breck,

Where did you get or can you get the Sony for $139 shipped.

SVS 25-31 CS is $369 plus shipping with your own old amp or receiver.

Paul_Fisher

Screenwriter
When I got my Sony wm40, I first printed off the price from www.etronics.com. At that time (2 months ago), the price of the sony sub was $129.99 on the website. I then took the printed price to Sears and they matched the price. So plus tax I got the Sony sub for $152.

Vin

Supporting Actor
That's the 50 watt SA-WM20 for $45, the SA-WM40 is 120watts, I believe.....I guess it's a good price for a subwoofer for your computer though. :)
Vin

Mark Larson

Supporting Actor
Basically, if your budget extends to $ 600, buy the SVS. Otherwise, stick with the SAWM40 and enjoy it!
Buyer's remorse is nothing to be laughed at, and $ 140 does NOT compare to $ 600.
If you have some more change (look underneath the sofa and the mattresses, there's always some there) and a 150 wpc receiver laying about, buy the 25-31 or 20-39 CS or hang out on the HTF FS forum.
ENJOY your purchase!! Buy the wife a gift with the money you've saved! And an SPL meter! :D

Shawn Shultzaberger

Supporting Actor
Norman,

If possible, take the sub back and save your money. There is a big difference between the two subs. I believe that it is worth the down time or being without a sub. If you simply cannot wait then the Sony is a great "bang for the buck" sub. But again I suggest you wait and save.

Very happy owner of two 25-31CS's w/Samson 700watt amp.

GaryCo

Agent
I just moved up from the Sony to the 20-39cs+/samson amp and while i thought enjoyed the sony, the svs is by far the way to go. having had both i would say bypass the sony and save for the svs, you will not be disappointed. Having the svs really open up the soundsatage in my opinion. No more boomy bass clouding up the sound. The svs is as much and more as everyone says it is.

Barry Barnes

Stunt Coordinator
I just saw another post saying the Sony is worth $500.00... Sorry guys, you may want to believe that, but I have heard the Sony...

While it's the best of the cheap subs out there, if you compare to an Adire or Hsu (or even an SVS if you have an old receiver around to power it) you will realize that in this context it can barely be called a subwoofer at all.

No offense to Sony owners, but I have seen a number of these posts, and I find it misleading to compare the Sony to subs costing three times as much. Especially considering the amazing values that are out there now...

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks