What's new

SVS 20-39PCi-not getting the impact I thought I would (1 Viewer)

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
Well my SVS 20-39PCi arrived today(it is huge like everyone has said) and I have it setup and properly calibrated with my RS SPL meter. It sounds really nice with music,accurate and solid but with movies I am not hearing or feeling the slam or impact I thought I would. It is currently in one of the front corners of the room. I have done everything the manual says for proper setup and I have even tried moving it the other corner in the front of the room. The only thing I have not tried is placing the sub in one of the back corners of the room. Who has their sub in the back of their room? Has it made a difference for those that have tried this? Thanks for any input. Here are my current settings:

Speakers-small/crossed at 80Hz
Sub level in preamp: -1db-this gave me 78db on the meter
Sub amp level-halfway up

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
The SVS is accurately reproducing the deep bass mastered into the source. If its not enough to suit your tastes, just run it a little hot.

John Giddens

Stunt Coordinator
I had the same complaint when I first got my 20-39 CS. After posting a picture of my room and it's dimensions it was ultimately decided by the members and the SVS team that my room was simply too big for a single 20-39. I got an additional 20-39 and voila slam and impact. So how big is your room? By the way, I'm not saying you have a particular problem. I'm simply just bringing up one of the many possibilities.

Edward J M

Senior HTF Member
One of first things I noticed about my 20-39PC+ was the almost complete lack of mid bass bloom at 35-45 Hz that many sub manufacturers deliberately build in to hide the fact that their subs have no real bottom end. This accurate and flat FR might give the initial impression that your 20-39PCi is missing some slam. I very quickly discovered this was not the case with my SVS - when the source material calls for it, the sub delivers the goods.

Anyway, here are some things to consider:

1) Check the polarity (phase) setting to see which gives a better response.

2) Check your receiver to make sure you don't have any dynamic limiters like Midnight Mode running - receivers have been known to spontaneously alter their settings.

3) How many cubic feeet is the room, how many permanent openings do you have (and how large are the adjacent spaces), is the sub located near an opening, how is the furniture arranged, and how far from the sub are the key listening positions?

Tom V is very good at estimating how loud one of his subs can hit in any given room if you give him these specifics. After I gave him my data, he estimated I could safely hit 114-115 dB peaks in my own HT room with my 20-39 PC+ and he was right on the money.

If you determine your HT room is conspiring against you (i.e., lots of cubic feet, several openings to other rooms, sub is 20 feet away from couch and located near a doorway, etc.) then maybe you need to look at dual subs or a Plus or an Ultra. Remember, you are dealing with one 12" woofer - albeit a very strong and well designed unit - but the laws of physics still apply - it can only move so much air in a big room.

Regards,

Ed

Sheldon C

Second Unit
I have a 20-39pci in a room that is 18X23. I usually run the sub around 8db hot to get the "slam" that I want for movies. Try this and if it's not enough, then yes you do need two subs. My sub has only bottomed once when I was watching Monsters Inc. with the sub at +10 db. I backed it down to +8 and was able to get 112 db on the part where the little girl starts laughing with no problems. That was a lot of slam!:)

Matthew Anderson

Second Unit
Real Name
Matthew Anderson
Thanks for all the advice so far. My room dimemsions are 18x13 ft. I have one open corner in the left rear of the room. The sub is about 12ft away from the listening position and the sub is in the right front corner of the room. This is an apt and I don't have a lot of furniture-just a recliner, rollup desk, and a dining table behind the listening position. I may try putting the sub in the back corner that is not open. Thanks again..

steve nn

Senior HTF Member
Two of my subs sit one foot away from the living-room entrance. If I put a 1/2 sheet of plywood over the bottom half of the entrance I get a 2db bump. WAF at it's poorest though. I did confirm though.:angry: Run your sub hotter. HT slam will be the outcome most likely. Just cut it back for music. +6---+8.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks