What's new

SVS 20-39PC has arrived (Long post with pics) (1 Viewer)

Dalton

Screenwriter
Real Name
Dalton
I wouldn't trade my SVS subs for anything! I don't have the 20-39 but i do have a pair of 25-31's and they are just AWESOME. I have said this many times before but thanks SVS!! You guys are TOP NOTCH!!

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
Steve,
you can have the subwoofer volume knob anywhere you need...the main thing is to keep the receiver's subwoofer output adjustment from having to be maxxed out to realize proper calibration. If your receiver has a -12 to +12 scale....anything near the middle is fine...but if you start going much past the +3 to +6 point...use the subwoofer knob to boost the output and lower the receiver back down a little. Some receivers have a tendency to produce distortion in the subwoofer output when pushed near the max.
To all, thanks for the kudos. As Ron and I often put in 7 days a week...feedback like this means a lot.
TV

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
Ahh ok, my current settings are this...
LFE MIX which ranges from -20 to 0dB is set to -14dB.
WOOFER which ranges from -10 to 10dB is set at -5db.
My subwoofer output volume is set between the 6th and 7th notch out of 10.
Thanks for the reply, i've been doing a few final touch-ups on the sub and i think i will stick to these settings. I'm sitting pretty close to 81dB in the sweet spot and it varies between 78 to 87dB as you move it back and forth on the back wall.
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection
[Edited last by SteveBjr on October 30, 2001 at 09:20 PM]

I'm trying to decide whci model to get, and I'm curious about all these SVS posts.
I've read many of you say you have 25-31's or 20-39's, but few seem to have 16-46's. The 20-39's seem to be the most popular. Why is that? What made you all decide to get those models instead of the 16-46?
Thanks

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
I've read many of you say you have 25-31's or 20-39's, but few seem to have 16-46's. The 20-39's seem to be the most popular. Why is that? What made you all decide to get those models instead of the 16-46?
I just read over the SVS site and decided on the 20-39. I'd recommend reading all of the FAQ's over there. I don't think you'll be disappointed with any of them.
Go check out this Link Removed and if you have any questions just ask.
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection

Ron Eastman

Second Unit
While the 20-39 doesn't have quite the low extension of the 16-46, it has slightly more headroom. It's a pretty good compromise, not to mention saving a few bucks. If I were in a larger room and money was no object I would have went with a pair of 16-46's.
------------------
"The last thing I want to remembered as is an annoying blabbermouth." - Del Griffith
Link Removed
my DVD collection

Mike Voigt

Supporting Actor
I went with the 16-46, CS model. I like the extra bit at the bottom, especially since I do like to listen to organ music every now and then.
Then again, one of these days that sub will have a compadre to share the load with...
Frankly, there's few people that use their 20-39 to such a degree that a 16-46 could not stand in its place - but the 16-46 is 7 inches taller, and some ficus trees don't "grow" that tall!
biggrin.gif

Mike

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
I've been on the fence for buying an SVS for almost a year now, but after reading this thread, I'm on the fence no longer. I just ordered a 20-39PC!!!
Thanks to everyone for all the information and reviews.
Now, the waiting begins :)
-Andy
------------------

=========
Andy Roth
My DVD List
=========

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Finally bit the bullet myself and ordered a 16-PC46....just too many of these glowing reviews to deny myself. Had the money in the bank and finally said, "What my hell." Now to count the minutes till it arrives and I too can search my home theater room for the stuff that's vibrating!!! I'm stacking up demo dvds in anticipation of the moment.
cool.gif

------------------
"This movie has warped my fragile little mind."

Brian Treinen

Stunt Coordinator
I ordered a 20-39CS last Tuesday (10/23) it arrived on the 26th. I mated it with a Parts express plate amp (also ordered on Tues) that I built a box for. What a beautiful piece. Unfortunatly we're in the middle of remodling and building an addition (which I call the Home Theater Extravaganza room - my wife referes to it as the family room?!?) Anyway our current configuration won't allow me to put the sub where it should be, it's basically just sitting out in the room so the impact of it isn't what it should be but It's still a damn site better than the old kenwood HTB sub I was using! Great work SVS! Can't wait to get everything set up in the new room!

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
Now to count the minutes till it arrives and I too can search my home theater room for the stuff that's vibrating!!!
Tracking numbers are your friend! I was keeping a close eye on mine the whole trip to my house
laugh.gif

Make sure to have Video Essentials or set it up using your Test tones before you fire it up. Let us know when you get it, it's always good to hear about people's reactions the first time they hear what these subs can do.
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection

Tom Vodhanel

Senior HTF Member
I think the reason why the 20-39 is our most populsr is it combines great extension with high output in a reasonably size enclosure.(about 39" tall...using about 1.5 sq-ft of floor space).
The 20-39 is actually tuned around 19.5hz(reference the Tom Nousaine review)...which is at least 1/6th octave lower than any competing product I know of. So it's going to offer some serious output into the 16-19hz range in most rooms...plenty for almost anything you'll throw at it.(expect TPM at reference levels :))
TV

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Tracking numbers are indeed my friend! Unbelievably, though I got my order in fairly late in the day yesterday, I was greeted this morning with a shipping notice and a tracking number from yesterday!! Best of all, the estimated arrival date on the UPS site is Friday....a weekend with a new SVS!! What more could be better? I've checked the UPS tracking system 3 times already today and it's only 2:30
biggrin.gif
So far, so good....on its way to Oak Creek WI as I write this. If only there were some way to get an ETA for delivery so I could be certain to be there. I have a nonworking friend whom I might just try to bribe to wait at the house and get the package for me. hehehe
EDIT: as of 4:36 PM it's in Wisconsin, at Oak Creek. Man, I wish I could just drive over there and get it!!!
As Sting used to sing (kind of), "I want my SVS"
------------------
[Edited last by Mark Zimmer on November 01, 2001 at 05:17 PM]

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Well, the SVS made it onto the delivery truck at 4:34 AM this morning.....if only I could time it to be there for sure. Hopefully I've got things worked out though. It'll be pretty disappointing if the sub has to spend the weekend in the UPS warehouses.
frown.gif

Can you tell I'm fired up?
blush.gif

------------------

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
No more fired up than i was Mark. That would be a big bummer if you missed the truck. If the UPS warehouse is not too far from your house you could always go pick it up from there. Thats what i do when i miss FedEx because they deliver so early. BTW you won't fit the SVS in a car trunk, you'd have to have a pickup or something that has fold down backseats to get it in a car.
------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection

Mark Zimmer

Senior HTF Member
Ah, well, the SVS was there when I dashed home for lunch
biggrin.gif
I unpacked it, hooked it up and calibrated it quickly, and then slipped in Episode I just to check it out before tearfully heading back to the office.
More than naked SPL I wanted bass extension, and this baby definitely delivers. The notorious THX intro on Ep. I didn't faze it one bit, nor did the podrace---sections, such as the engines starting, where my old sub would bottom out often and hard came and went without effort on the 16PC-46. I swear that I could feel the breeze at times. It also successfully made me feel queasy, especially as the pods went through the canyons....obviously a hallmark of HT at its best. Can't wait till tonight to check out more!
I was surprised, for all the talk of the size of these subs, that it's really not all that big. It nicely tucks into the corner where I only had cobwebs growing anyway, so that's just peachy.
I had been intending to keep my old sub and have the two in tandem, but I'm guessing that the SVS can do the job just fine all by itself. Now, where are those Bach organ CDs....
------------------

Andy_R

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Andy
I mentioned in an earlier post that I ordered mine on Wednesday. Imagine my excitement when I got notice that it shipped on Wednesday and was scheduled to arrive on Friday. I made plans for some Friday evening calibration followed my initial screen of Star Wars Episode I (which I have been saving for this occasion).
I tracked it on the UPS site from Ohio to Greensboro, NC to Raleigh, NC. At 6:05 AM it was listed as being "Out for delivery" which I took to mean on a truck, on the way to my house. Sadly, that is as close as it is going to get to me today since it is now 9:15 PM, and no Brown Santa has been down my street.
I am hoping against hope that somehow it will arrive tomorrow, but I am not really expecting it until Monday.
Kudos to the SVS guys for the quick shipping. I just wish UPS was as efficient.
-Andy
------------------

=========
Andy Roth
My DVD List
=========

SteveBjr

Stunt Coordinator
Congrats to Mark on the new sub. Have fun playing with it.
At 6:05 AM it was listed as being "Out for delivery" which I took to mean on a truck, on the way to my house.
Thats what it means Andy, maybe the UPS guy got lost or something but i doubt you'll get a Saturday delivery. Maybe you can drive up to the warehouse and pick it up. Thats a bummer they missed your delivery
angry.gif

------------------
Steve,
DVD Collection

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks