What's new

Survivor: Pearl Islands (2 Viewers)

Jeremy Allin

Supporting Actor
Did ET say anything else? I missed the first 4 minutes of the show and it looks like the Survivor bit was on then.

aldamon

Second Unit
I believe I heard somewhere that Survivor will not be recorded/shown in HD because of the difficulty using the equipment in such a remote location.
Reality TV is supposed to be a cheap cashcow for the network. Taping in HD would add to the show's costs. I believe that's the real reason it's not in HD.

gregstaten

Supporting Actor
Mark Burnett *has* shot a reality series in HD. Two seasons (I forget which) of The ECO Challenge were shot in 1080i. That included hanging the cameras off cliffs on a jib, rapelling with them, carrying them through rough terrain, and so on.

It worked, but Sony covered the costs associated with the cameras and the added cost of post-production. I would imagine that they haven't been able to work a similar deal for Survivor.

-greg

Andres Munoz

Senior HTF Member
Jeff Probst (sp?) was on Howard Stern this morning and he talked a bit about the surprise (for the contestants) of the first episode.

Mainly (most of it has already been said) that the contestants were told to dress nice for the press conference so some guys were wearing Armani suits, the girls nice dresses with heels, fancy clothing in general. Some girls were wearing thongs, some of them no underwear at all.

So as soon as the conference is over, BAM! They're thrown overboard with only the clothes they were wearing because the theme they're shooting for this season is a Ship Wreck.

So later on in the show the guys will be cutting up their expensive suits into shorts, the girls will have to make do with what they're wearing (no bikinis or sporting attire like before).

Jeff said this made for some interesting situations like during some challenges in the water, the girl's dresses would float above their hips and you know they're not wearing anything underneath. :D

Very cool premise. I like the fact that they're still trying to make the show interesting after 7 seasons and not just sitting on their asses.

Daniel Kikin

Screenwriter
After watching BB4 last night, I was thinking, how about a bringing a mime to Survivor to drive the castaways nuts? :)

Alex S

Second Unit
SPOILERS ....

Apparantely besides the survivors being dressed up and being dumped on the island with nothing else the other new twist is that each tribe will get $100 to spend anyway they want.

There is a village they can go to and can buy or barter for whatever they want.

One tribe does very well and one tribe doesn't do well at all with the same set of resources.

Also, according to Burnett, "expect a twist midway through the show that's either going to have the audience excited or really angry."
I heard Burnett on a radio show this morning confirming this will happen on show 6 or 7.

:)

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2003/...in573779.shtml

Chris_Morris

Screenwriter
I wouldn't consider those as spoilers, it's the same thing Mark and Jeff have been using to promote the show for the past few weeks. The TV Guide article stated the twist would be an unbeleivable, mind-bending twist.

Here's hoping it lives up to that :emoji_thumbsup:

Chris

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
In a way, the girls are going to be a huge disadvantage, mainly because of shoes. High heels are not that good for challenges.

Maybe they will split the women equally so both tribes are at an equal disadvantage. Maybe they will have 3 tribes!@! Ok probably not but who really knows these days. They mix something up every location.

WillG

Senior HTF Member
What a stroke of Genius, Hope it doesn't bite him in the ass assuming he makes it to the merge.

Why did it have to be the blond one who is the drug addict?

Ok, editing this post later, she is pretty horrid. Guess I have a weak spot for blond

Patrick Sun

Senior HTF Member
Why oh why did that person (who got the boot) have to go stirring up trouble? Dumb dumb dumb. Has to be on the dumbest opening round moves in Survivor history.

Drake:
Rupert is a trip.
Jon is a drip.
Burton and Shawn have painted a big target on their backs.
Christa reminds me of Michelle on Big Brother 4, only 3 years older.
Michelle left no impression on me.
Sandra has low tolerance for fools.
Trish also left no impression me.

Morgan:
Andrew assumed leadership too early.
Darrah's got a funky accent.
Lillian's outfit was really ironic.
Nicole looked nice in her outfit, too bad it wasn't good for Survivor conditions.
Osten showed too much butt crack (blotted out, thankfully)
Ryan C. is just going with the flow.
Ryan S. reminds me of Shia Lebeouf (Project Greenlight's "Battle of Shaker Heights") in about 4 years.
Tijuana got on my last nerve, and it's only the first episode.

Jim_C

Senior HTF Member
I like Rupert. I hope he sticks around for a while. Great, and funny, move with the shoes. Osten annoys me already. I hope he gets the boot soon.

Why does it always come as a shock to people that others are lying to them before tribal council? You'd think people would come to expect this behavior on Survivor.

I wonder if MB and JP set up the tribes to ensure there was a smart group and a dumb group. The approach Morgan took to the village supply gathering was just stupid.

Anyway, I thought it was a good start to the show.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks