What's new

Surprised I haven't seen more freaking out about this: Hypo-allergenic cats (1 Viewer)

Kenneth

Supporting Actor
I actually think this is a good use of genetic technologies. I am sure that there are some people who would benefit from this. And, as long as they keep the animals sterile so we don't have to worry about mixing the cloned cats genetic material with normal cats I think this is fine. If all genetic experiments were handled this carefully I think there would be fewer people so scared of transgenetic plants and animals.

Although, as I put my Frankenstein thinking cap on, I have to wonder if they have considered Mosquitos and the introduction of the modified genetic material into the environment through that means. Probably not a big deal but one does wonder if it was considered.

Kenneth

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Wouldn't it make more sense to genetically engineer HUMANS not to be allergic to common items in the environment (hay fever allergens, cats, et al.) than to pick on the poor source of the allergens?

Dave Poehlman

Senior HTF Member
Well, I've never met anyone who's allergic to cats say, "I really love cats... I wish I wasn't allergic"
I can't see there being a big demand for these cats.
Besides... you want hypo-allergenic cats... order a Sphinx:
:D

Jason Seaver

Senior HTF Member
Well, I think if they're kept sterile, it will be to maintain control of the supply of allergen-free cats as opposed to any damage this could do to the general housecat population.

Kenneth

Supporting Actor

Well, I suspect it is a little of both :laugh: I think our track record of mixing genetic material has not always been very good, even when it is done through normal means (can you spell Killer Bees ;) ). I think the introduction of genetically modified anything into the environment should be done carefully so we don't create too many exotic new mutations.

Kenneth

Dennis Nicholls

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Dennis
Actually Sphinx are not hypo-alergenic. The allergen for cats is not the hair but rather the dried saliva dust from their self-grooming.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Feetman
Recent bookmarks