What's new

UHD Superman, The Movie coming to 4K Blu-ray per TDBits (1 Viewer)

Kyrsten Brad

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brad
Heads Up.

Just read on The Digital Bits FB page that Superman, The Movie (1978) will be released onto UHD 4K Blu-ray in time for the 40th Anniversary of the theatrical release late this year.

Don’t have any further info and I couldn’t copy the FB link to here on iPhone but check out TDB Facebook page.
No info on subsequent 4K releases of any of the sequels or if this will include the extended TV cut.

One to keep an eye on

B-ROLL

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
Heads Up.

Just read on The Digital Bits FB page that Superman, The Movie (1978) will be released onto UHD 4K Blu-ray in time for the 40th Anniversary of the theatrical release late this year.

Don’t have any further info and I couldn’t copy the FB link to here on iPhone but check out TDB Facebook page.
No info on subsequent 4K releases of any of the sequels or if this will include the extended TV cut.

One to keep an eye on
Here is the paragraph

"Still not quite done today... we’ve been hearing from industry sources that Warner has quietly begun scanning Superman: The Movie in 4K for eventual release on 4K Ultra HD, as this year marks the film’s 40th anniversary (it was released theatrically in early December of 1978). And now we’re starting to hear from retail sources as well that a UHD release is indeed coming. We expect to see the title announced, possibly at Comic-Con, for release sometime in November or December."

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Richard Donner and company did a lot of work fixing the effects ahead of the original DVD release, but that work was presumably done at 2K or 1080p. It'll be interesting to see if we're back to teal super suits with this release.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
I have to agree with you that these studios need to be careful on which of these catalog titles they take to 4K/UHD.

RAH,

What if the release was strictly 4K without HDR?
HDR is probably the only thing you could add that would be moderately perceptible. As it stands, there's probably about 1.8k worth of information there.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
Hopefully we will be pleasantly surprised. If it looks better than the current Blu I’m in.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Then this whole thing about not adding HDR to 4K catalog titles is not an alternative for most catalog titles?
I think what he means is basically these older films are really just glorified upscales because the elements were produced in a way that does not hold up to such extreme scrutiny.

CAlford

Auditioning
Real Name
Cedric Alford
Awesome!

I hope they have some new behind the scenes and special features.

Still hoping that the Superman II Blu-ray will have the Donner cut on it somewhere.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
Awesome!

I hope they have some new behind the scenes and special features.

Still hoping that the Superman II Blu-ray will have the Donner cut on it somewhere.
Donner Cut has to be completely rescanned and reassembled. Good luck with that.

DanH1972

Second Unit
Real Name
Dan
It looks as though Bill Hunt got his information from the Blu-ray.com forum. They were one of the first sites to hint at this release besides a certain Superman fan site called Caped Wonder. This isn't the first time that's happened where Hunt has cribbed others stating it was The Bits' scoop.

It may have Dolby Atmos as well.

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
It looks as though Bill Hunt got his information from the Blu-ray.com forum. They were one of the first sites to hint at this release besides a certain Superman fan site called Caped Wonder. This isn't the first time that's happened where Hunt has cribbed others stating it was The Bits' scoop.
CapedWonder isn't what I'd call an official source which is why I raised an eyebrow the other day when I saw their tweet on the matter. Still shows how far Bill has slid into irrelevancy if he has to crib from a lower rung.

Last edited:

Adam Lenhardt

Senior HTF Member
Then this whole thing about not adding HDR to 4K catalog titles is not an alternative for most catalog titles?
The issue with Superman: The Movie is specific to the way that the great Geoffrey Unsworth chose to shoot it. The movie is intentionally soft in many places, both as a stylistic choice to summon to mind that mid-century Americana and as a way to hide the wire work and blend more seamlessly between the foreground and the rear projection backgrounds in the flying scenes.

Robert Crawford

Crawdaddy
Patron
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Robert
The issue with Superman: The Movie is specific to the way that the great Geoffrey Unsworth chose to shoot it. The movie is intentionally soft in many places, both as a stylistic choice to summon to mind that mid-century Americana and as a way to hide the wire work and blend more seamlessly between the foreground and the rear projection backgrounds in the flying scenes.
Yeah, I understand that from another poster as I'm not sure those making these decisions are taking that seriously enough when it comes to their 4K/UHD decisions regarding catalog titles.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks