What's new

UHD Superman, The Movie coming to 4K Blu-ray per TDBits (1 Viewer)

Vincent_P

Senior HTF Member
$55-million* in 1978. However did they manage to even process the film with such limited funds? ;)

Vincent

*I imagine the $55-million included the approx. 2/3rds of SUPERMAN II that Donner shot concurrently, but still.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
$55-million* in 1978. However did they manage to even process the film with such limited funds? ;)

Vincent

*I imagine the $55-million included the approx. 2/3rds of SUPERMAN II that Donner shot concurrently, but still.
That $55 million in 1978 translates to $218,000,000 in 2018!
Doesn’t sound like a limited indie budget to me!:D

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson

Vincent

They went 20M overbudget actually (no thanks to Marlon Brando and having to restart production in England when the pound cratered). Which meant Warners had to get involved and nullifying the terms of the initial negative pickup deal (WB got tv rights to the first film out of it).

Last edited:

deepscan

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
JP
There are reports out of the German Amazon.com site that the 4K of STM will be coming November 8th. According to the site it is the 151 min. SE cut. Take it with a grain of salt as we have to assume this is tentative.

Our US release will likely be the 143 min. original theatrical version since it is that version that is being restored for 4K. We still do not know at this point whether our reissue will include all three versions (SE, TV cut also).

I cannot speak for (nor do I work for) WB, so all I can say here is you can continue to speculate, but do have patience. All will be revealed officially in due time.

Konstantinos

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Konstantinos
The thing I'd like is:
Theatrical film from 4K scan on bluray (and not only in UHD), with original mono audio.
Anything less will disappoint me..

Lord Dalek

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Joel Henderson
You're not entirely wrong. In 1978 studios carried inventories of both mono and stereo prints.
As far as I am aware the only Dolby Stereo film to have a dedicated mono mix was Star Wars. The necessity for a separate optical mono was negated when it was discovered that Dolby 2.0 could be reproduced in mono quite easily.

Peter Apruzzese

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Peter Apruzzese
As far as I am aware the only Dolby Stereo film to have a dedicated mono mix was Star Wars. The necessity for a separate optical mono was negated when it was discovered that Dolby 2.0 could be reproduced in mono quite easily.
They were still making dual inventory 35mm prints (Dolby Stereo and mono) into the 80s; I played mono prints of ET, Raiders of the Lost Ark, Blade Runner, The Thing, and others, at a theater that did not have stereo. Now whether they made an actual mono mix or just folded down the 2.0 stereo matrix is something I don't know.

Tino

Taken As Ballast
Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Valentino
The thing I'd like is:
Theatrical film from 4K scan on bluray (and not only in UHD), with original mono audio.
Anything less will disappoint me..
If you’re 4K capable, why do you care about the Blu Ray?

Stephen PI

Supporting Actor
They went 20M overbudget actually (no thanks to Marlon Brando and having to restart production in England when the pound cratered). Which meant Warners had to get involved and nullifying the terms of the initial negative pickup deal (WB got tv rights to the first film out of it).
The Brando footage was filmed at Shepperton Studios and then the production re-located to Pinewood.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
NHCondon
Recent bookmarks