What's new

Superman Returns (1 Viewer)

RobertDW

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Robert D Wehe
I had problems with this disc on my HD-XA1 however it plays fine on the new HD-A2.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I got the HD version for Christmas from my brother.

I think the people with the standard dvd version of Superman Returns got robbed.. of a good picture.. the picture on the HD is more vibrant in color then the regular dvd version.

it looked more like it was a suppose to be in the theaters.

Jacob

Joe RZ

Stunt Coordinator

Same thing happened to me today.It happened at two different chapters in the movie.I'm using the 360 HD-DVD.

Rik P

Stunt Coordinator

Same thing here with the 360 HD-DVD on both King Kong and Superman discs only. Happens twice randomly during Superman im going to see if a swap at Walmart changes anything.?

Joseph Bolus

Senior HTF Member

Better color saturation is one of the benefits of the HD format ... I see it as well on my (now quaintly ancient) Infocus 4805 FPTV setup. This is a native 480p device but downscaled 1080i usually looks better than standard DVD on it; and one of the reasons is the better color saturation.

Gary Seven

Grand Poo Pah
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Gaston
When I initially viewed SR, it played fine. A few days ago I was skipping around chapters. When I came upon chapter 21, it locked up. Odd. I will watch this movie again from the beginning and see if it does lock up on 21. I would like to see if it is related to the random access since it seems that was the only time it happened.

BTW, DVD player is the Xbox add on.

Royce H

Stunt Coordinator
I'm now on my 3rd brand-new Superman Returns disc, and it too pauses/skips/locks/fast-forwards on Chapters 21 and 22. This was purchased from an online retailer, whereas the first two (initial buy and an exchange) came from my local BB. With all the folks who are encountering this, I'm wondering if WB might have produced a run of iffy discs. Had I been the only one reporting this, I would have chalked it up to my player and started looking for a fix. Anyone know if Warners reads these forums, or know how to contact them? I know they heard and responded to the complaints about the 5.1 soundtrack on the theatrical version of Superman: The Movie included in the 4-disc sets. Maybe they'll do the same here.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I got the superman returns in HD last week. when I first got the dvd into the player. it would not read the disc. I had to clean the disc and then it worked.. but then it did have a problem with chapter 21 and 22. it seems that the disc that I had a bunch of scratches on it. I would check the disc. this morning, I decided to play it and then it would not read the disc. I cleaned it and then it would work. .except still have problems with chapter 21 and 22. I took it back to best buy and got another one. I even had them open it so I could check the disc for any scratches. there was none.. I got home and played it.. it started right up and even played chapter 21 and 22 without any problems.

JACOB

Adam Portrais

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Adam Portrais
This is somewhat good to hear. I thought I was the only one having this problem. And like everyone else it locks up on chapter 21-22. Is this just happening with the Xbox 360 add on or has anyone had this problem with an A1 or A2? I think I"m going to try and exchange mine today. Just glad I"m not the only one.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
did your copy of superman returns have any scratches on it?

Jacob

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I wonder what it could be then. figure it might have been the scratches on it.

Jacob

greg_t

Screenwriter
there are many many folks having issues with superman returns. I have an A1and it will freeze or skip. I didn't do it the last time I watched it though, but it had every other time.

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
Watched the SReturns HD-DVD again last night as there were some members of my family who never saw it! ...played flawlessly again. Too bad about this disc causing some problems for others.

Dave>h

Second Unit
Question for people who have seen Returns:

I purchased 1, 2 (The donner Cut) and Superman returns on HD DVD. Should I view them in order to get me in the mood for Returns (it has been quite a while since I saw any of the Superman flicks but I have seen 1 and 2 numerous times before) or is it better to just go into Returns cold and not have the whole nostalgia thing for Chris Reeves and Margot Kidder cluttering my perception of Returns?

Anyone marathon the 3?

Comments appreciated!

Dave

Tim Glover

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Tim Glover
I would just watch Returns and enjoy it. :) Superman Returns takes place 5 years or so after Superman II.... Hope you like it.

TheBat

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jacob
I would watch superman 2 the theatre version before you watch the donner cut.. if you have not seen the donner cut yet. its like a whole new movie.

Jacob

Litespeed

Auditioning
Real Name
Tito
With all these reports of problems, I decided to try a copy from Best Buy near my work. Sure enough, it stuttered (picture and audio) around chapter 20 at about 1:15:16 on my HD-A2. I went to exchange it at a BB near home and this time it played through those chapters (20-22). I also tested chapter 15. I'm going to watch the whole movie soon and will report back if there's any problems.

There were no scratches on my discs so I think it was just a manufacturing defect.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks