What's new

Superman III Review Thread (1 Viewer)

WillG

Senior HTF Member
Say what you will about part III, but the gag with the leaning tower of Pisa and the guy selling the replicas, was great
Wasn't that scene initially conceived for Superman II? Superman is so euphoric over his new romance with Lois that he does that?

[Michael Bolton] "Underrated movie, actually" [/Michael Bolton] I guess I'm not as hard on this film as others are because it came out when I was a kid and back then anything with "Superman" in the title was automatic genius. So, I still have that childhood fondness for it. Of course, there is still way too much beyond ridiculos stuff in it to take it seriously. The thing bothering me the most was how Richard Pryor's character gets off scott free at the end even though he has commited dozens of crimes. Yeah, he's a bit sympathetic because he's being contolled but that just because he stole from his company in the first place. Pryor surviving a fall off a skyscraper doesn't help things much either. Still, it's more enjoyable than IV and it is one of those movies that if you see it on TV you might not be able to turn it off. Actually, that gives me a good idea for a new thread.

Kevin L McCorry

Second Unit
The sub-plot involving Lana and Clark bores me, and Pryor's antics tend to grate after awhile, but I've always liked Superman III. The chemical factory fire sequence, Superman turning evil, the fight in the junkyard, and the climactic battle against the super-computer all combine to give a storyline that keeps me glued to the screen. And it's quite appropos that tar, a primordial slime, is the ingredient in the synthetic Kryptonite that causes Superman to take a turn for the worse.

I do unfortunately lament that DVD has spoiled a lot of the illusion for me now that I can see the wires whenever Superman ascends or lands.

ZackR

Supporting Actor
As a kid, Superman III was actually the first Superman movie I saw at like 5 years old. I also think the flying effects in III are some of thevery best of the series. I was very disappointed that the new DVD reveals so much of the "movie magic" to the naked eye...

Britton

Screenwriter
Yeah, but the Superman II Superman wouldn't have pushed a kid off the Tower. There's no guarantee the Superman III Superman wouldn't have.
Exactly. And it being the Eiffel Tower just made it all the more believable to me at that age because I knew Superman had been there before.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks