What's new

Subwoofer Reference Level Question. (1 Viewer)

David Ruiz

Second Unit
I just got an SPL meter to measure how loud my speakers were. To my surprise, they were all at their correct levels, but when I set the subwoofer, it's TOO low for movies, and WAY TOO low for CDs. I set all of them at 75 DBs. Someone said that the receiver automatically adds 10 DBs to the bass, but mine is not obviously doing it. Is it ok to do all speakers 75 dbs, and 85 dbs for the sub?? How does everyone else have it set?
By the way, I'm using Video Essentials to set the sound.

MartyK

Agent
David,
I have my sub set at ~85 db. A lot has to do with personal taste. I'd start at 85 db for the sub and adjust further if necessary to match your personal taste.
Marty

Steve_D

Second Unit
It's your system, do what you want.
If you want to know what is technically correct, with VE the SPL meter should read about 73 db on the sub track.
Most HTF members will tell it should read anywhere between 75 and 80 db, which is actually 2-7 db above correct. I have mine set at 77db.
Some will tell you +12 db like the guy above
It also depends on how loud you watch movies since you perceive low bass less at lower listening levels. And if you listen near reference levels, +10 db is a good way to bottom your sub.
As for music, where you set your sub for movies may or may not have any direct correlation to your music levels. Many receivers have different settings and response characteristics for surround versus 2-Channel. You should calibrate each differently.
------------------
Link Removed

Mike Knapp

Supporting Actor
Real Name
Mike
when I set the subwoofer, it's TOO low for movies, and WAY TOO low for CDs.
No, it is now correct, you just prefer too much bass. There is nothing wrong with that and has has been said, it is your rig set it up as you like it.
The preference of too much bass is perhaps THE most common phenomenom in all of home theater, especially with newer enthusiasts..
Calibrate to your liking, it is after all, your system.
I suggest you try listening for a while with the correct settings though, you will hear a more natural balance after a while and you will soon wonder how you ever tolerated the bass heavy sound you covet currently.
Happy listening.
Mike

Jeremy Anderson

Screenwriter
You may also have an issue with your subwoofer's placement, which makes it sound quieter than it really is. Try moving it to another location and see if it helps.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks