Subwoofer Reference Level Question.

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by David Ruiz, Aug 19, 2001.

1. David Ruiz

David Ruiz Second Unit

I just got an SPL meter to measure how loud my speakers were. To my surprise, they were all at their correct levels, but when I set the subwoofer, it's TOO low for movies, and WAY TOO low for CDs. I set all of them at 75 DBs. Someone said that the receiver automatically adds 10 DBs to the bass, but mine is not obviously doing it. Is it ok to do all speakers 75 dbs, and 85 dbs for the sub?? How does everyone else have it set?
    By the way, I'm using Video Essentials to set the sound.

2. MartyK

MartyK Agent

David,
    I have my sub set at ~85 db. A lot has to do with personal taste. I'd start at 85 db for the sub and adjust further if necessary to match your personal taste.
    Marty

3. Steve_D

Steve_D Second Unit

It's your system, do what you want.
    If you want to know what is technically correct, with VE the SPL meter should read about 73 db on the sub track.
    Most HTF members will tell it should read anywhere between 75 and 80 db, which is actually 2-7 db above correct. I have mine set at 77db.
    Some will tell you +12 db like the guy above
    It also depends on how loud you watch movies since you perceive low bass less at lower listening levels. And if you listen near reference levels, +10 db is a good way to bottom your sub.
    As for music, where you set your sub for movies may or may not have any direct correlation to your music levels. Many receivers have different settings and response characteristics for surround versus 2-Channel. You should calibrate each differently.
    ------------------
    http://www.sdiver.org

4. Mike Knapp

Mike Knapp Supporting Actor

Mike

5. Jeremy Anderson

Jeremy Anderson Screenwriter

You may also have an issue with your subwoofer's placement, which makes it sound quieter than it really is. Try moving it to another location and see if it helps.