What's new

Subwoofer "pop" (1 Viewer)

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Hi Everyone!
I have a subwoofer- a pretty one- and it works pretty well just about everywhere. With one exception that really gets to me. You know the opening scene of Toy Story Two? Right after Buzz shoots the "eye", the ground opens up in kind of a "Z" shape, and he falls through. Well, right at that point- and CONSISTANTLY at the point the ground opens up- I get a really loud "POP" from my sub. It does not sound good. Other than that, the sub takes just about everything I throw at it, and does a great job.
I did this again last night, and thought I would post this today, and see if anyone else had noticed something at that point in the DVD. After all, maybe the problem is there. I had just set up the whole system with VE, and I was playing AT reference level. The sub was calibrated to 79 db.
Thanks for your feedback!
dave

Claude M

Stunt Coordinator
Maybe the woof is bottoming out or the amp is clipping.
What is the make and model of the sub. My Vel makes a slight 'pop' when it's powered up and when the cold mist humidifier in my son's room is turned on. I have the same dvd and my copy does not do that. If you turn down the volume on the sub, do you still hear the pop? If so perhaps the clipping is taking place before the sub (at the LFE signal out). Turn down the volume for the LFE setup and test it again. good luck.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Hard to answer without knowing what any of your hardware is, or what audio setting you are using. If you are using digital out / DTS and selecting DTS from the menu, it could be dropping signal momentarilly, and causing the pop. This is something more commonly associated with layer switching, but it's a possibility. I've never had any problems with that particular spot on my disc/player/amp combo, but it could be clipping, as mentioned above.
------------------
All progress is based upon a universal, inate desire on the part of every organism, to live beyond it's income.
ITRCA ** Honda/Acura Club ** Link Removed (sorry, car guy)

Jay H

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Jay
Does it have an auto-signal detector? Perhaps it could be powering itself off in a quiet section until it gets awaken and then you get the standard 'pop' at powerup like many subs do...
Jay
------------------
HUGBEES! Link Removed
Rider in the 2001 Alaska AIDS Vaccine Ride
Wanna Link Removed

Ron Stimpson

Stunt Coordinator
Dave,
You are calibrated 4dB "hot" and playing at calibrated ref. level?
It's not hard to figure this one. Your driver is bottoming. That is a KILLER scene with TONS of sub 20Hz bass. Your sub's limiter is just a little too slow in that instance. Turn the sub down some (or your master level) and you'll be fine. Probably just a bit will do it. If you have ANY channels in your HT set to "Small" then you are adding to this problem. Set some to "large" if you think your mains (or whatever) can take a bit more bass. Just this might help you avoid that "pop" too.
You are asking more than nearly any sub can handle really. Don't forget that if you are measuring that LFE calibration with an SPL meter you are probably actually about 6dB over your mains. That's OK at moderate levels (say 6dB under ref) but NOT at full ref level. You need one or two more subs if you want to do that.
Ron

David Ely

Supporting Actor
Ron,
I think what Dave needs is a little upgrade (SVS CS Ultra)
wink.gif

Dave Koch

Stunt Coordinator
Hi All:
Thanks for the quick responses!
Claude: What is the make and model of the sub?
I intentionally left this out. Call me crazy, but I have a reason. Suffice to say it is a very well made, highly regarded sub. My sub is less than 6 month old, and never been ridden hard (as long as you do not consider Ref level hard... it has not been above that level.) I am the original owner.
I think it must be clipping, as you suggest. The TS2 instance is the only instance- ever- of this happening, and it is consitant... so I do not think it is a line transient or anything.
John Garcia:
Nope, not DTS (although I can do that!). This test is strictly DD. At 4 minutes in, no way it is a layer switch! It is nice to know you have not noticed anything there... makes me think it IS my setup!
Jay H
Yes, it does have a auto-on, and I am using that. But the section going into that is all pretty loud, so I do not think that is it. However, I will give it a try in the ON position!
RS:
Yep- I have it at 4 db over. Should I take that down do you think? I usually do NOT listen at ref level, I just TEST there! Justt coming down a bit, the pop dissapears. It just worried me it was there.
Dave

Dan Seliger

Stunt Coordinator
Whew, glad to hear its not just my sub!!
I have a set of Klipsch RP5's (integrated 12" 400watt powered subs on each). In Toy Story 2 (haven't tried part I yet!), right when the logo flys on the screen in space (title part right when the movie is starting) the bass gets soooo low that it pops like crazy, kinda scared me the first time but apparantly didnt damage it!
I posted messages on Klipsch forum and it I ended up turning my Peak Bass setting to the point just above where the popping starts and now it works great! (fyi, the popping did appear also when i was in the receiver setting this when i got to a certain level).

SVS-Ron

Screenwriter
If anyone wonders if this movie had genuine "sub killer" bass, well just take one look at the very moment that logo plops on. Very high level bass to well below 10Hz.
http://www.svsubwoofers.com/images/B...peninglogo.JPG
Your sub either works hard to reproduce this (it would challenge even a pair of 16-46CSs, actually) or doesn't even bother. Most don't. Too hard. So with a typically restrictive sub limiter folks say "hey, my sub handled it just fine". Maybe.
Or maybe it just died about where the word "Frequency" is on this chart.
And if anyone wonders why we try hard to do justice to bass below 20Hz (and the aforementioned 16-46s doing well into the 10Hz range figuring for normal room gain) this chart taken right from the disk of one of this year's most popular DVD's is your reason.
You "pop" a bit on this movie and your sub is just saying "turn me down a bit" (or rather, "get me a twin brother, will ya??" ;^)
Ron
[Edited last by SVS-Ron on July 10, 2001 at 11:14 PM]

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
balajipackersmovers
Recent bookmarks