What's new

Subwoofer faints for a while... (1 Viewer)

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Every time I turn on my home theater to listen to music or to watch a movie my JBL PSW-1000 Subwoofer stops working for a minute o so and then comes back. Sometimes it does this a couple of times but only at the begining of every time I turn my system on.

If you approach the sub while it "mutes" you'll notice that it's ON and still working though at a very low volume as if it was muted. After that it plays for hours without a problem. So it seems that the receiver is still sending a signal.

I thought that it could be the receiver at first, but I dont think so. Can a receiver stop sending signals to the sub for a while? This happens with 5.1 DD/DTS materials as with standard Stereo from any source, so since the receiver does every procesing and bass managment in the digital domain, I really don't think that the receiver is faulting. Especially since digital chips either fail or work, so it must be the Subwoofer, right? What is wrong here? Is it something in the sub's amp?

Thank you for any help.

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
I guessing that your subwoofer has an auto on function vs and on and off switch on the back. If so, it's probably waiting for a signal from the receiver to turn itself on and then, after some period of inactivity, it turns itself back off.

Mort

Barton Lynch

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Barton Lynch
Yes it has an auto on/off instead of a power button or switch, but it does this while playing anything way into the movie/song at the begining, at full volume after it's been receiving a signal for a while. It only does it for a brief moment, sometimes it doesn't happen, but it happens only after a few minuts after it turned on by itself among receiving a signal. Without interrupting the movie or music.

Thanks for your reply

Mort Corey

Supporting Actor
Very strange. Well, there's only three parts to the system. I would start by trying another cable (cheapest and easiest). If the problem persisted, I would try borrowing a different receiver and hooking it to the sub with a known good cable. If the sub still cuts out then you know the problem is something in its sensor or amplifier that's amiss.

Good luck

Mort

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks