Subwoofer cable

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by CaseyLS, Nov 6, 2002.

1. CaseyLS

CaseyLS Second Unit

I just ditched my Sony HTiB on a friend for $200 bucks. I paid $300 and charged $200 so basically I paid for the name and he paid for the product.

Well any before I hijack my own thread, I was just wondering if 35 bucks for am AR sub cable is a good deal. Now that I have a some-what decent reciever, a Marantz 4200, would it be a good investment and would I notice a difference between that and a regular RCA cable. Thanks in advance.

Casey

2. Ryan Leemhuis

Ryan Leemhuis Second Unit

3. Bob McElfresh

Bob McElfresh Producer

I've always found that the higher the frequency, the more sensitive the signals are to the cable.

A subwoofer carries a very small bandwidth and very low frequency sound. This means nearly any decent RCA cable will work.

So long as your existing cable is a shielded coaxial cable (about the thickness of your CATV coax) and the RCA plugs fit snug, I doubt you will notice any difference.

4. Neil Joseph

Neil Joseph Lead Actor

Neil Joseph
    As long as you have a fairly short run, the cables that are recommended here so far will more than do the job. For long runs, I always recommend RG6 with F-RCA adaptors rather than expensive (long) custom sub cables.