What's new

Submit your Golden Raspberry nominations (1 Viewer)

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
but the worst part about it was that Ang Lee's creative vision was misplaced on material that didn't deserve it.
I sincerely hope you're talking about the limits of the character himself and not the medium from which he sprang.

And I'm not sure if it has to do with my being rather young, but movies as a whole did not really intrerest me at all until 1997. And that's being in and of itself supremely generous. Of course, stuff from the Coens and Tarentino went above my more adolescent head, and I've come to enjoy it retroactively, but as far as studio output, a lot of it is just vanilla or garabage.

Seth Paxton

Senior HTF Member
Having just seen it, let me throw in my vote for Rob Zombie as worst director (probably not a winner, just a nomination, and his film House of 1000 Corpses as worst film.

Of course I don't see this crap until DVD usually.

I would put The Core lower than Daredevil actually, and even The Core had enough qualities to allow me to enjoy it in several places. Not for a majority of the time, but in several places.

Based on previous years, their are certainly a few films that from a filmmaking standpoint have everything wrong, script, acting, direction, even score. So far it sounds like Cancun and Gigli are 2 such films, though I won't be seeing them for some time still.

Dennis Castro

Second Unit
The worst film I've seen this year is a tie between Boat Trip and Tomb Raider, especially Tomb Raider.
Scratch that. I wasn't thinking of it at the time. The worst movie I've seen this year has to be Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd.

The children in attendance did not even laugh at most of the "jokes". This may be the worst film I've ever seen. I gave it a negative one star.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter

And to add to that list, anything by Alan Smithee (who can also go by any name as well). There's one other "writer/director" who churns out the "usual lousy crapfest" as well that shall go nameless for the sake of this series of posts, but all I'll say is this: avoid Scary Movie 3 when it hits.

JohnE

Supporting Actor
Scratch that. I wasn't thinking of it at the time. The worst movie I've seen this year has to be Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd.

The children in attendance did not even laugh at most of the "jokes". This may be the worst film I've ever seen. I gave it a negative one star.
Agreed. Dumb and Dumberer could very well be the worst movie I've ever seen. I don't even think I'd enjoy this one if I was stoned!

I'll also cast a vote for Daredevil. That was about as bored as I've been in a theatre in years.

Rob P S

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
rob
How about a nod for Marci X? A major-studio release (that's been on the shelf for two years) with two familiar sitcom actors and it couldn't even earn a million dollars in its opening weekend. I didn't see it, but the few who did say it should have gotten the reviews that Gigli got. Paramount freely admits that they only released it to theaters to prepare it for video.

Edwin-S

Premium
Senior HTF Member
I sure would like to be able to nominate a few films, but I cannot truthfully say that I hated any of the movies I have seen this year. The films I saw were not knock your socks off good, but they were not completely awful, either. Most were just average. I guess I'll be in the minority, but I didn't mind "TOMB RAIDER 2".....just as long as I took it for what it was....a shallow, action blockbuster. It was certainly better constructed than the first one; although, many here would say that isn't saying much. :) In some respects, I liked it better than, say, T3.

Angelo.M

Senior HTF Member
I sincerely hope you're talking about the limits of the character himself and not the medium from which he sprang.
Rob: I wasn't talking about the comic medium, either in general or in the specific. I was actually referring to the screenplay, hence my comment about "if it ain't on the page, it ain't gonna be on the screen." I think that there is a much better film to be made from the particular source material in question. My personal feeling is that, among the hundreds of particular comic adaptions one might choose to make, Hulk is among the least interesting, but there are lots and lots of folks out there that wanted to see this film, and that wanted to see it work well on the big screen. Unfortunately, it didn't.

Bill Williams

Screenwriter
Well, when you think about it, the whole "Alan Smithee" thing is a joke, since it is an easy out for directors to disavow films that they're not proud of, and we get to sit back and laugh whenever we see the "Alan Smithee" credit pop up. :D

Rob Bartlett

Stunt Coordinator
I'm glad you cleared that up Angelo, althought it should bear mentioning James Schamus, Lee's lontime collaborator, has a writing credit on the script.

I personally think the movie should have been done as a suspense movie, not an adventure one.

Mikel_Cooperman

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Mikey
YOu may not like Chicago but compared to some of the movies that came out, its not a BAD movie Josh.
Why didnt you like this movie? The music? The acting?
Poor production values?
Just because you dont like it doesnt mean its the worse of the year.
When you look at movies like Dreamcather, Charlie's Angels, Daredevil and Tomb Raider 2 which get my votes, they all have something in common. They are all incoherent mess in terms of script, dialogue, editing not to mention acting.

Secondly the Hulk was nowhere near as bad as Daredevil. The characters were more believably written and you empathised with them. Something I never felt in Daredevil which were caractures.David was certainly more interesting than Matt Murdock and the love story was not as trite.
Sure it may have been overly long but I had a much better time watching The Hulk.

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Ambassador
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I'm also curious why someone whould consider Chicago to be the worst of the year. I'm guessing it is the same type of reason some people have for choosing a LOTR movie as the worst of the year. There are too many others praising it. Even if someone isn't into the Bob Fosse type musicals, it is pretty apparant the movie is well made.

For me, I've never seen much Bob Fosse, but I love the movie. I think it is tied for my favorite of 2002 so far with Heaven, a film a lot of people hate. Another thing I don't get is slamming what I see as good "popcorn" movies like Resident Evil and Reign of Fire. What is the problem with them? Is it that they are poorly acted or directed? I don't think either one is. I know Paul Anderson is the scourge of the film industry for some people and anything he does is declared crap before it is even seen, and I agree that some of his stuff is pretty bad. These aren't meant to be Shakespeare. They are well made and a lot of fun.

Now, I expect Seth is right about House of 1000 Corpses. Somehow, I get the feeling it is truly bad. I may not be able to resist the temptation to find out exactly how bad.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks