What's new

Submit your Golden Raspberry nominations (1 Viewer)

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
Unfortunately some of us are forced to do that. :frowning:
I used to be sympathetic to that excuse, Bill, but no longer. Why? 'Cause even when the stuff that gets limited theatrical distribution comes out on DVD and is widely available, the denizens of this forum still pay scant attention. The films that get snapped up on DVD and discussed ad nauseum in the Software forum are, by and large, the same ones that Hollywood shovels into wide release every weekend.

M.

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
I agree, but it is difficult for people like me to discuss City of God since I may not be able to see it until next year, when people are already talking about 2004's films. :frowning:

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
I agree, but it is difficult for people like me to discuss City of God since I may not be able to see it until next year
I'm on the same boat, Bill :) Although I have seen City of God we are getting films that were released in 2002. I went to the movies a couple of nights ago and saw Narc. It is frustrating that there are some big Discussion threads and you can't join in until its too late. :frowning:

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
As it is every year...
Have to disagree with you there. Every year there is a lot of crap. That never seems to fluctuate. Still, I think 2001 was one of the best years for film there has ever been. It didn't compete with the likes of the 39-41 stretch for epic grandeur, but there were at least 20 exceptional films released, as far as I'm concerned, which is pretty damn good in my book.

Chicago worst movie of the year? You gotta be kidding me.

I'm pretty good at just avoiding the crap. I still don't understand why so many people go to all this stuff that is pretty obviously garbage, and then complain about it. Stop seeing that junk and maybe less of it will be made.

So, the worst movie I have seen this year was Daredevil, though I am sure there is much worse out there.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
So, the worst movie I have seen this year was Daredevil, though I am sure there is much worse out there
I've seen quite a share of 'crap' this year (though not nearly as much as Jason, Scott, Bill and Stephen.) :). I must say there isn't all that much worse out there, it was pretty damn bad.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
I'm on the same boat, Bill :) Although I have seen City of God we are getting films that were released in 2002.
Same for me. Most "blockbusters" (TTT, T3, Tomb Raider - why do all blockbusters start with "T" :) ), are here shortly after their US release. But some really good ones are on DVD (in R1) before they even hit the (small) theatre! Even if I still did go to the cinema frequently, my main source for and first contact with those films would be DVD!

Cees

JohnRice

Bounded In a Nutshell
Premium
Reviewer
HW Reviewer
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
I've seen quite a share of 'crap' this year (though not nearly as much as Jason, Scott, Bill and Stephen.) . I must say there isn't all that much worse out there, it was pretty damn bad.
It has to get a lot worse than that. It just has to. For me, Daredevil was solidly in the "Not Good" category, but it fell short of the outright "Bad" category. The worst movie I saw last year was Clockstoppers. Now that was a BAD movie. Actually, I didn't make it all the way through it, and I have only ever shut off three or four movies I rented.

Nick Sievers

Senior HTF Member
It is all subjective. I thought it was a bad film - dialogue was poor, action was boring, univolving and the acting was very ordinary as well. I know there are people on this Forum who loved Daredevil, so in the end what do I know? I'm just one guy. :)

I agree it wasn't very good but I actually made it through Clockstoppers, I just couldn't keep my eyes off Paula Garces. :b

Scott Weinberg

Senior HTF Member
I'll bite. Here are my nominations:

Worst Actor

Cuba Gooding Jr. - Boat Trip
Ashton Kutcher - My Boss's Daughter
Justin Guarini - From Justin to Kelly
Chris Rock - Head of State
Paul Walker - 2 Fast 2 Furious

Worst Actress

Jennifer Lopez - Gigli
Kelly Clarkson - From Justin to Kelly
Kate Hudson - Alex & Emma
Brittany Murphy - Uptown Girls
Monica Bellucci - Tears of the Sun

Worst Supporting Actor

John Leguizamo - Spun
Horatio Sanz - Boat Trip
Jeff Garland - Daddy Day Care
Josh Hartnett - Hollywood Homicide
Donnie Wahlberg - Dreamcatcher

Worst Supporting Actress

Mena Suvari - Spun
Kimberly Brown - Bringing Down the House
Kelly Rowland - Freddy vs. Jason
Demi Moore - Charlie's Angels: Full Throttle
Kate Hudson - Alex & Emma

Worst Screenplay

David Dorfman - My Boss's Daughter
Jason Filardi - Bringing Down the House
Kim Fuller - From Justin to Kelly
Will De Los Santos & Creighton Vero - Spun
Ron Shelton & Jim Stahl - Bad Boys 2

Worst Director

Michael Bay - Bad Boys 2
Robert Iscove - From Justin to Kelly
Troy Miller - Dumb and Dumberer: When Harry Met Lloyd
Mort Nathan - Boat Trip
Adam Shankman - Bringing Down the House

Worst Movie

Boat Trip
From Justin to Kelly
Bad Boys 2
The Real Cancun
Spun

Jay E

Senior HTF Member
Scott, I really feel for you. Having to watch all those bad films would drive me nuts.

I try to avoid watching bad films but, regrettably, I was unable to avoid Dreamcatcher. It's my nominee for worst film, what a waste of talent!

Michael Reuben

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Michael Reuben
I'm pretty good at just avoiding the crap. I still don't understand why so many people go to all this stuff that is pretty obviously garbage, and then complain about it. Stop seeing that junk and maybe less of it will be made.
Three cheers for common sense! :)

I really like Scott Weinberg's list. It's a compendium of movies I chose to skip at the theaters, because they were (in John Rice's phrase) pretty obviously garbage. Of course, someone who works as a reviewer doesn't have the same option.

Interesting, Scott, that you found five films to nominate that you considered worse than Gigli. That's probably because, unlike most of the people condemning it on the internet, you've actually seen the film. (So have I, and although it's not good, it's not the worst I've seen this year.)

M.

Cees Alons

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Cees Alons
That's an interesting list, Scott. For several reasons.
What strikes me is, that several movies are on more than one of the lists.

Apparently, once one finds something very annoying in a movie (an actor, the screenplay), something else has a bigger chance to be judged lower.

Or, perhaps the explanation is simply that a movie can only be good if all aspects are good - or at least acceptable.

Cees

Holadem

Senior HTF Member
Or the worse movies are simply those with the largest collections of faults :).

--
Holadem

Jeff Kleist

Senior HTF Member
Sigh, Michael Bay gets nominated every time he makes a movie, despite being one the of most talented action directors out there

The man makes stupid fun action movies. This will never change. Pearl Harbor was more than he could chew, because he couldn't blow anything up for 2 hours. :)

Steve_Tk

Senior HTF Member
I'd just like to say that I'm sure there were movies worse than Dreamcatcher out there, but I don't go to see every movie that's made. I actually don't go near as much as most people because I hate seeing something just for the sake of going to the movies.

And if I were Michael Bay I wouldn't really stress out about it. Bad Boys II was a huge commercial success. The movie was made for the American public as a whole, and they enjoyed it, regardless if this site hated it. Now Gigli, that was a total bust...

Matthew_Millheiser

Supporting Actor
I wish I kept some of the email I got when I positively reviewed the Armageddon: Criterion Collection DVD -- both the DVD and the film. Some people's hatred of all things Bayesque transcends sheer hatred and veers into the realm of psychotic obsession (or obsessive psychosis.)

I personally think that a noble failure from a normally talented cast/filmmaker is much more tragic than the usual lousy crapfest from Groiny Q. Hackmeister (who often goes by the name of Simon West, Paul Anderson, or Raja Gosnell.) You know pretty much any Rob Schneider film is gonna blow, so why bother?

But Gigli obviously had some talent behind it. Is it as awful as the media puts it out to be? Haven't seen it, so I haven't the faintest scintilla of a clue. But that type of failure is worse to me than, say, the latest Ashton Kutcher/Freddie Prinze Jr. buttload.

Alex Spindler

Senior HTF Member
Worst movie to have rectally exploding aliens be the high point : Dreamcatcher
Worst Adaptation : The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
Worst Horror Film : Darkness Falls

I have judiciously avoided most of the truly bad films this year, so my input is limited.

Jack Briggs

Senior HTF Member
JohnRice: My opinion of Daredevil echoes yours completely. The only virtue for me was the fact that I didn't have to pay for the DVD. JB

Bill J

Senior HTF Member
Worst five films I have seen so far this year:
1. Spun
2. Darkness Falls
3. Dreamcatcher
4. The League of Extraordinary Gentlemen
5. Pirates of the Caribbean

Users who are viewing this thread

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads