What's new

Sub Stands, worth it? (1 Viewer)

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
Wow, that's very interesting, I may have to make one of those and try it out. It would probably be the same as taking a corner loaded sub and spacing it from a wall and putting a bass trap between the sub and the wall. You will likely lose some SPL, but have slightly improved tightness in bass, and better response. It also raises the subwoofer possibly helping the sound due to the vertical standing waves of a room.
It's also like putting a bass trap in the corner of the room if your sub is currently in a corner.
ASC are known for their great acoustic treatments and this friday I'm going to clone four of their 4 foot long 16" diameter tube traps. I sure hope they work. :)
I've never heard of subwoofer stands until I saw your link, thanks Phil, I too wonder if they work.

Phil_DC

Stunt Coordinator
If you make one let me know if there is really any improvment in sound. I am not sure if these stands really do something or if there a big waste of money.

Thanks

Geoff L

Screenwriter
Real Name
Geoff
It will do something, but to what extent in each persons own room,,,,well that is to been seen or rather heard. At this point I venture to say it's all speculative.
It's lifting the sub 12" and trying to de-couple the sub from from floor and it also contains apparently sound asorbent material around itself. So I would think you would notice something. Is it worth the price of admission, will it turn ones Sony-40 to a HGS-Velo,? Buy one and let us know what it dose for your subs sound..
Of course some actual measured data would be nice when you come back to let us know what you think you hear.
Many have implmented the use of spiked feet, marble slabs, etc and reported a noticed change. So with the added sound asorber and the quailty of their sound deader/absorber products, I would go out on a limb and say something would be noticed. Worth the cost, doubt
it.....
The same speculatve things can or could be achived by good placement and a combo of, spiked feet, a paving stone or marble slab, rubber padds and a bass trap or 2 hand built. Just might not be as pretty....but may actually work better when all or part of these are implemented properly.
Start with a decent sub and good placment first, and you may find all this unesessary from the start;)
Edit:
They do look very cool though...:emoji_thumbsup:
Just my 2-cents
Geoff

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
You can do that yourself. Just buy some cheap acoustical foam and pad the corner where the sub sits. All the stand is doing is trapping the bass trying to reduce unwanted reflections.
This is what I did to mine:
http://www.cube17576.com/images/paradigm_PS-1000.jpg
It improved the quality of the bass alot. I now have a very smooth response in the listening area.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks