What's new

sub problems (1 Viewer)

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
hi guys I have a problem, My m&k v-1b was fine up untill this point but today while watching the movie constanine the sub started to pop real fast during the loud heavy base scenes. I guess this is clipping. Its fine during the low base scenes. I dont have a clue why it started, I only keep it half way turned up. I know this is an older sub but this thing is great. Does this have to be sent in for repair or is it something that I can make ajustments to fix. thanks

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
now I wounder if this was a problem with it being over heated. I just played some heavy base music and movies stuff through it and it was fine. my place is air condition and it is over a foot away from the wall. I dont know, should I wait and see if it happens again or should I send it away to be looked at.

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
It was just overdriven with excessive ultra-low frequencies. It’s probably fine, but anytime you hear this, reduce the level immediately.

Regards,
Wayne

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
this is the specs on my sub,
V1B
Amp Power 200 watts RMS 400 watts peak
Frequency Response 20-125Hz + - 3db
Dimensions H W D
17 3/4 x 18 3/4 x 16 3/4
Weight 50Lbs

Do you think that the movie constantine was just to much low base for it. I have since tryed it with other movies and its fine no problem at all plenty of base more than I even herd in constantine. Can you tell me a good movie to test the limits of the sub and see if it needs repair. Also does it matter what side I put the rca cable into I find that I get more base if its in the right rather than the left, However I keep it in the left because thats the standard. I was using a y cable but when I called M&K they said just to put it in the left only. thanks

Kenny WH

Stunt Coordinator
Was it an electrical/static sounding pop or a metallic/clanking pop. If it was a metallic/clanking pop that would likely be your sub driver bottoming. If it was more of an electrical/static pop than it could something with the amp or signal.

If it was a rental dvd then it could even have been something wrong with the dvd such as a bad transfer or even a scratched/dirty disc. Since you haven't had the problem before or since...I'm thinking it could have been a disc problem.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
There are a few scenes in there with some decently low stuff. Definitely turn it down when you start hearing those kinds of noises. My SVS PB-10 had no problems with this movie, even at a louder than normal level.

One way to find out for sure is to try out some other movies, such as The Incredibles, with very low BASS and see if you can reproduce the condition (while being prepared to turn it down). It sounds like you bottomed it out to me.

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
I wounder could it be that the receiver (yamaha htr-5740) cant handle the movie and its sending a bad signal to the sub during the low base time. I had the receiver cranked up to -15db when I was watching it also, is that to high. I read the yamaha owners book and it said only to use the receiver at %50 volume, any higher and they say to get a stronger receiver. whats the %50 mark. by the way it sounded like a electrical/static popping. It did pop once while watching lord of the ring the other day but again I had the volume at -15. At this point I dont know weater to look for a new receiver or to send the sub back for service. thanks

SteveCallas

Second Unit
If you're using the sub out on your receiver with an RCA cable, then it can't be the receiver - that is an unamplified output. The amplification takes place in the amp on your sub. I think your fine, your sub just bottomed once or twice. If it still plays the majority of stuff fine, no need to get it looked at. You just need the play the super low stuff at a lower level or get a second sub for more headroom.

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
no, I never knew that I need spl meter untill I started reading this site. I will go out and get one this weekend. can you give me any tips on what to do. thanks

John_RO

Stunt Coordinator
50% on a Yamaha reciever is -50. While that is fine for TV watching (Actually, I usually go no louder than -58), DVD's are another story. Dolby Digital tends to be a bit quieter than the Dish Network or cable output. I usually listen to DVD's in the -42 to -32 range and it's quite loud. -26 is the reference level on my reciever and I never even get close to that unless i'm showing off to friends. -15 is way too much volume in my opinion and you are probably overdriving your reciever. The yamaha htr-5740 is a budget reciever and depending on what speakers you are using, you may need a bit more juice. You may consider stepping up to the RX-V series for more clean power. I use an older RX-V 1000 (100x5)and have no problems driving 5 8 ohm speakers at well over 100db. I also have an SVS 25-31 PCi which I calibrated to run about 5-10db over my mains. I have never experienced any clipping, distortion, bottoming, pops, etc.

The new Yamaha model closest to the one I have is the RX-V 1500 and retails for $850. I picked mine up on closeout a few years ago (since it's a 5.1 reciever with no DPL II) for $550. Good luck

JR

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
after a talk with the m&k I discovered that the speaker needs replacement. The speaker's foam bead around the edge is letting go, a large part of the bead has pulled away from the speaker, I guess the glue is old. I wounder if this is what caused the popping or did the popping cause this damage. Any Way I'll post how I make out. I'm sending the amp to m&k to be checked out also.

Joe*H

Stunt Coordinator
ok, guys, Got everything is back from m&k, I put the subwoofer into the box and reinstalled the amp. it sounds great. I watched the incredibles and lotr 3 and it sounded great. its even better than before. this thing is realy shaking the house. I have the receiver subwoofer output set to -4 and the knob on the amp at 1/2. I am going to rent constatine again just to see if the new sub can handle it or if the movie is just to much. thanks guys for all you help. by the way I'm also looking into a new receiver.

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
Constantine has a few spots, but not as much low stuff as Increidbles. Congrats on the working sub :)

John S

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the update!!!!

Knowing me, I'd be putting Constanine back on only much louder than before to make sure. :D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks