What's new

sub plan sanity check (1 Viewer)

MattHoffman

Auditioning
Sorry to add another "which driver and amp should I buy..." thread to the forum; I'll try to keep this pretty focused. I've read quite extensively over the past couple of days and am trying to process a wealth of information. It will be my first DIY in the audio realm (although I'm thinking of building a couple of Dayton BR-1's too...deciding between that and nicer bookshelves...but that's a whole 'nother thread).

The location in question is a living room of < 1500 cu.ft. that bleeds into a kitchen and dining room that add ~1200 cu. ft. It's a condo so I have to be careful with volume. SPL is not my priority anyway; adding a realistic low-end to music is. Space is also a bit limited. Luckily, there's no SAF to deal with but I'm not sure I'm secure enough to put an 8ft. tall conversation piece in the corner anyway (otherwise I may NEVER have a SAF to deal with ;-) I'm thinking of using Ascend CBM-170's as mains when funds allow, which would mean the sub would have to come up pretty high (I recall hearing that the CBM-170's need help < 90hz or so).

All this considered, my flash education in subwoofers says that I can build a sealed sonotube (for ease of building + musicality) that's 24" by about 21" high (end-table sized for appearance) with a 12", downward-firing driver; most recently I've been looking at a DPL12. Unfortunately my driver choice seems to change with each thread I read :)

First question: I've seen a PE 250W amp with bass boost and the Rythmik amp with an optional linkwitz crossover; are either of these necessary/worth it for this kind of application?
Second question: Other drivers for consideration? Cost is a factor (the less this costs, the quicker I can get nice mains).
Of course, any comments are more than welcome. Thanks for your help!

Matt

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Matt,

From all that I've read and from the simulations I've run I think the DPL 12 would be the perfect driver to go with for your application. There's no real need to use the amp with boost or an LT circuit.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks