What's new

sub performance (1 Viewer)

Mark Shannon

Screenwriter
I have a simple 100W downfiring sub to go along with my six channel system... the problem is, my system is in the basement (it's furnished, of course), on carpet. The carpet has no padding (though it probably wouldn't help), and it only about a 1/2 inch thick... so, basically the sub is firing directly on the hard concrete beneath...

I'd like to improve the performance of the sub, so it can be really heard (and felt)... is there any inexpensive way I can do this?

could I possibly have the sub sitting on a piece of wood instead of the bare floor, or would this help at all?

Thanks in advance...

BrianWoerndle

Supporting Actor
Most people will say to put a sub on a slab of marble or concrete. Concrete will bounce almost all the sound back, where carpet will absorb some sound. So as far as the sub is concerned, it is probably at its best.

Ryan Schnacke

Supporting Actor
You might hear some improvement. But its not going to be the kind of difference you're looking for: "so it can be really heard (and felt)"
To get improvements like this you'll probably have to replace it, or maybe just add a 2nd sub.

The most cost effective route is Do-It-Yourself. A good woofer can be had for $80 or less if you really look around. Watch for guys selling the original SVS woofers or consider the Quatro woofs from www.partsexpress.com

The enclosure can cost as little as $40 or so, assuming you have access to some woodworking tools.

If you've got a DD/DTS receiver then you can use practically any spare amp/receiver you might have laying around to power the sub. Or you could pick up one of the 120 watt or 250 watt plate amps from parts express for $100 - $120.

For inexpensive pre-built subs I'd consider the DLS 10 in sub, again from PE.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks