What's new

sub output balancing (1 Viewer)

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
While using Avia with the RS meter, I set one main speaker to 75db pink noise. Next, I set the sub to 75db pink noise...do I have to compensate for the RS meter bass by (corrected value) adding 3-5db; or do I just level match 75db with the mains?

Also, once the sub level is set, is there any need to fool with the LFE output of my processor?

Thanks, any info will be helpful.

Brian Fellmeth

Supporting Actor
Ross,

This is a maverick position on this issue, but I believe that "calibrating" the sub level is nonsense. The only thing acheived by perfectly calibrating the sub level (which is impossible anyway unless your sub's FR is flat via a BFD or some other equalizing device) is that you will hear what the recording engineer of that particular source thought was the appropriate level of deep bass. Maybe your tastes are different from his (her's). Set it whereever it sounds best to you. Move it around from disc to disc.

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I am inclined to agree...after calibrating I invariably mess with the sub out and LFE pad to suite my need for gut wrenching, window rattling bassssssssssssss.

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks for the written and email responses.

Using the Avia at my listening position,first I made sure that the 1st sub was in phase with the mains. Next I made sure that the second sub was in phase with the first. Next I balanced the output levels of both subs.

Using Sheffield test cd I measured the output of the mains at 50hz and 60hz. Did not make sense to try and balance the outputs of the sub with wb pink noise. Rather match the subs output with the main's woofer output. I then adjusted the outputs of the subs via processor controls to match the main output at 50 and 60hz.

Steve_Ma

Second Unit
Ross,
I calibrated just as you did and I never bothered to compensate for the RS meter.

The problem I see with not calibrating the sub is this:
If you do not calibrate your sub or are constantly adjusting it up or down for each disk or song or whatever... How do you evaluate any recording? I mean you don't have a baseline against which to judge the material?

Before I calibrated my speakers, I was always messing with the sub. It was a slippery slope. I spent more time adjusting my sub than I did listening to it. Now, I calibrate it and forget about it. I enjoy good recordings and am critical of bad ones.

Just my $0.02
--Steve

Mike Sloan

Second Unit
I have calibrated with Avia and Video essentials which the end result is a balanced system. Now say we are watching the ATOC and I run the sub a little hot to demo a scene just...because I can. Then during the light saber scene I crank the rears up 1dB..just for the H___ of it...after a few days of doing the above I am back to calibrating by ear. If I was to evaluate a component..which is (perhaps) different from enjoying it...I would bring the system back into "calibration." For music I usually just bring in enough sub to fill in the lower octaves...by ear...I adjust what sounds good...not what a meter tells me...sounds good. I find that I don't shy +/- 2dB from ref. cal at most.....You mean to tell me those out there with dual SVS Ultra setups don't crank it up....what was T.V. saying...5,000 watts and 130dB....that's more like it!

ross ish

Stunt Coordinator
Oh yeah,

Dual svs ultras!!! I am a bottom feeder too. Forgot to mention that I have M&K 5000 in one corner, Hsu VT2 in another and a McIntosh HT2 bringing up the rears.

Needless to say, I do not have any rodent problems. Also both my bird and dog are deaf....just kidding.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks