What's new

sub inputs (1 Viewer)

BradK

Stunt Coordinator
The other day I picked up some sub cable and while there, sales guy asked me if I wanted a "Y" connector for the sub. I didn't know anything about it, so he explained if I had a left and right RCA input on the sub that I should use it. It "adds a little more quality" he said. Other than that he didn't really explain well to me, so I thought I would ask here first.

On my sub,(Sound Dynamics ths-1000)I have two RCA inputs, along with the high level inputs. One is marked xover input, one is just marked input. The on just marked input is where I have receiver hooked to. The xover input is red, the other white. The sub manual just says the xover input connects to subwoofer output of xover. Not very helpful (for me at least !)

Is this what the "Y" connector would be for? Do I need it? Once again, thx for help.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
The x-over input jack runs straight into the amp, bypassing the subs internal crossover. This avoids 'doubling up' crossover filters, since the sub out jack is filtered anyway.

Usually, that jack is off on it's own, not a part of a left - right pair as you describe.

As far as using a 'y' connector, you would gain a free 6 db boost because you double the preamp input. Not necessary at all, but there you go. I have used a Y and I have not, no preference either way. The difference was that when I used the Y, I had to reduce the amp's volume control to keep the sub level in trim. I like sending in the single, allowing the amp to stretch it's legs a bit, getting away from whatever noise floor there is.

Hope this helps!

In a nutshell, the Y is not necessary.

Harry Lincoln

Stunt Coordinator
>As far as using a 'y' connector, you would gain a free 6 db boost because you double the preamp input.

------------

6db boost from using a Y connector?? That doesn't sound right to me, I'll give it a try after work though. I understand that adding a second sub-woofer will give a 6db boost.

Harry.

ColinM

Senior HTF Member
Umm, I heard that here.
At the same volume setting, plugging in that 2nd RCA adds a 3 or 6 db boost. I think it's 6.
I'm not an engineer, just a forum reader...but I'll vouch for my own experience.
Your sub will still reach it's limits, it won't magically get 6db headroom at the edge of it's perfomance envelope.
Right???
:confused:

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Premium
Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Wayne
Your sub will still reach it's limits, it won't magically get 6db headroom at the edge of it's perfomance envelope.
Brad,

Colin is right. Using both inputs simply increases the signal gain to the amplifier. This may mean you have to turn down the sub’s volume (which is a gain control for the amplifier), but it won’t change maximum output at all.

Regards,

Wayne A. Pflughaupt

Greg_R

Screenwriter
Real Name
Greg
However, many sub amps have auto sensing logic that makes the Y connector unnecessary (i.e. Left Ch undriven, have R Ch drive both).

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
khuranatech
Recent bookmarks