What's new

Sub Amp Blown: What to do? (1 Viewer)

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator
Hello to all. I have a Infinity BU 120 Sub with a bad amp. It keeps Blowing fuses. The Sub is perfect, hardly used. I hate to waste a almost new Sub, I am not good with fixing things like this. What are my options to fix this EASY.

Thanks to all

Beau

Cam S

Screenwriter
Well if it still has a warranty, then I would definitely take it back for a refund, or at least repairs. It might be a good idea to make sure your using the proper fuse. If you are using a fuse with to low of an amp load rating, it will blow the fuses very fast. Klipsch had this problem with their KSW line of subs. The last option would be to replace the amp, but then you have to find one that fits, and then it may or may not work well with the sub itself as the old one could have had boost built into it. Good luck though.

Guy Usher

Supporting Actor
Typically even on warrenty work they will have you send the amp back as it gets expensive to ship complete subs. Should be an easy replacement requiring maybe just a screwdriver to remove the amp, Check Parts Express for a replacement amp.
http://www.partsexpress.com/webpage....ctGroup_ID=505
A few here,(the tip of the iceberg) you might be able to upgrade the amp, if the box and driver are good I am sure there is a solution. . .

John F. Palacio

Supporting Actor
Just a thought.

Make sure that the replacement fuse is not only the same AMP (amperage or current) rating but same speed.

There are(mainly): FAST, REGULAR and SLO-BLO fuses.

Most power supplies use SLO-BLO for A/C fuses. If you substitute a FAST for a SLO-BLO, even of the same amperage it can lead to premature fuse failure.

Best regards.

John

Beau B

Stunt Coordinator
Warrenty is over. Amp looks to have a bad spot on the grid.
Factory amp from Infinity is $150.00 plus shipping. Should I by a used BU 120 or what? Sub and Box are Perfect. I live in a Apt. so anything bigger is out.

Thanks

Beau

Michael R Price

Screenwriter
There's a good chance it can be easily fixed. What specifically looks burnt inside the amp? Can you take a picture?

If you can use a soldering iron there's no reason not to give it a shot since replacement parts are cheap (I fixed my own amp for $7 in parts after destroying its output stage). We'll have to figure out just what the problem is first.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks