What's new

stuffing in a vented box (1 Viewer)

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
What exactly is the point of putting fiberglass or polyfill in a vented enclosure? For applications above 100hz I can see it being usefull for stopping standing waves. But what about for subwoofers? What is the point of using stuffing in them? For sealed boxes it can make the air stiffer, but is the same thing acomplished in a vented box? Also, for a subwoofer, why put any dampining in the cabinet, what good does it do, doesnt it prevent higher frequencies?

Could someone explain how the stuffing works in a sealed enclosure? thx.

Please support HTF by using one of these affiliate links when considering a purchase.

Jerry Parker

Stunt Coordinator
Hmm, well I guess I was wrong. Could you explain to me why a vented box needs to be stuffed? Like for example, my 1803, why dont I just fill its box up with 20 pounds of polyfill? Wont it make the enclosure seem bigger than it is?

Robin Smith

Stunt Coordinator
I have a related question so I'll ask it here
I already have a completed 214L sonosub that uses the 15 Dayton DVC and is tuned to 15.4Hz.

I lined it with batting but never stuffed it.

Will I gain any advantage performance wise by stuffing it after the design is complete. i.e. I did not design it with stuffing in mind.

Would stuffing it change the tuning as the port length was set based on the 214L?

Tom Brennan

Screenwriter
Real Name
(see above)
Stuffing a properly designed and built vented box will have no advantages, it may be detrimental if it makes the box appear larger than it's proper size. Vented boxes should have 3 walls (top or bottom, one side or the other, front or back) lined with a material that will absorb midrange frequencies if the box is being used as a regular woofer. For a sub only box this lining is probably not needed.

Chris Tsutsui

Screenwriter
I followed Adire's directions for an adire aligment enclosure so I figured the 64oz of polyfill is needed to achieve the posted results.

My first problem was the 3" vents kept shooting out balls of polyester clumps. I then learned my lesson not to break apart the stuffing but rather fluff and stretch it.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Josh.1983
Recent bookmarks