What's new

Stuck in the '80's..? (1 Viewer)

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
My wife and I have been talking about people being stuck in the '80's.

I don't know if it's just geographical or what, but it seems like more than any other decade, more people seem to be stuck there.
They way they dress, wear their hair, how they have their house decorated, etc...
Sure some people are still stuck in the '70's some in the 90's but it seems to us that the '80's is the prevalent era.

Is that cause those were the bomming years? Money was flowing...etc?

Just wondering if anybody else sees this?

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
I often think people are overly concerned with being trendy and “up to date”. What difference does it make if your style is associated with a previous decade? If it looks good and shows good taste, that should be all that matters. If the argument is that the 80s didn’t have a good look and showed bad taste, that’s different than saying you need to follow current trends simply for the sake of doing so.

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
Every trend seems to be about 20 years ago. In the 70's, it was 50's culture (i.e. Happy Days and American Graffiti) - in the 90's, it was 70's culture, and now it's been the 80's for quite a while.

Just you wait, in about 4 years, the Seattle grunge thing will start coming into 'retro' style.

Bryan X

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Bryan
That's exactly what I've noticed too, Mark. Styles from the decade about 20 years prior tend to come back into style at that time. The 80's still have a good 5 years left to run.

One thing that I hope never gets pushed aside is the music of the 80's. It is my absolute favorite music. Of course I was age 11 - 20 from 1980 to 1989 so that may explain that.

LONG LIVE GEN-X!!!!!!

MarkHastings

Senior HTF Member
I can tell you when the retro-80's thing became very popular...In the spring of 2001, I formed a band and we've been doing 80's covers ever since. When we first started, the 80's thing had barely surfaced.

I believe it was that fall when that 80's TV show (the sitcom) came out and things really picked up speed ever since. We were lucky that we NAILED the timing perfectly with our 80's revival.

It seemed like everytime we'd pick out a song to do, it would end up in a commercial. :D

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
Actually the 80's was my favorite era too. I love the music and am still discovering more of it!
I like that people pulled their pants up to their waist. (nothing like being at a resturaunt and seeing the waiters gross grey underwear like you do now-days). I like that you could wear bright colors without getting called names and that people ironed their clothes.
Just don't miss the "mom jeans", the light blue stone washed jeans with white hightops, and the mullets that people still wear.

Inspector Hammer!

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John Williamson
I don't still dress like I did back then, but the 80's is my era! :) I was born in 72 and so the 80's were my teen years and when I met most of the friends that I still associate with today.

My favorite bands are Journey and Def Leppard, I can't hear Hewy Lewis and the News without thinking of Back to the Future, we used to trade Transformers in school like they were drugs, it was Thundercats everyday after school and Madonna slammed us all head-long into puberty. ;)

How I love the 80's!

John Kilduff

Screenwriter
I'm a tremendous 80s fan, even through I was only born in 1982.

I got into 80s culture as an escape from the rough times I was having in the late 90s. Between coping with my dad's death and shuttling through several schools, I needed relief. I couldn't get that with the music and movies of the late 90s. So many of those entertainments have become inexorably tied with bad moments in my life.

Conversely, 80s culture has inspired me to write and given me fuel for dancing and karaoke. If it weren't for 80s culture, I don't know how I would've started my freelance writing career.

I'm not into 80s culture because it's the trendy thing to do...I'm into it because it reminds me of the good times in the past, my creativity in the present and my hope for the future.

Sincerely,

John Kilduff...

I can't really explain any other way, unless you would like me to go into further detail.

Garrett Lundy

Senior HTF Member
The world has run out of fashion trends. As a result, things tend to get repeated. Just look at kitchens for example: those gross colours that were cool in 1959, stainless steel appliances direct from 1972, fondue pots, designer wine glasses (riedel's popular new stemless "O" line is only about 2000 years young), heck theres even an anti-teflon move going on... back to cast iron.

RobertR

Senior HTF Member
That's a good point. As the saying goes, "there's nothing new under the sun". It's funny to see how dated "futuristic" styles from the 60s look, for example. Really, can ANYONE come up with a TRULY "futuristic" look never seen before? :)

KevinGress

Supporting Actor
It's probably due to the fact that Gen-Xers are starting to hit promenience - we're out of our 20s so we've got some money and we're starting to hit or take over decision-making roles - managers, owners, etc.

Give it some time and the 90s will return and so on and so forth.....

ChrisHeflen

Supporting Actor
The point of my post was not to dog the 80's, but that people seem to be stuck in the 80's more then the other decades.
Sure things like fashion, music, etc.. repeat themselves, but they come and go and don't necessarily become mainstream.
But people still living the 80's culture seem to be "here and there", everywhere... since the 80's.
I mean just the other day I was over at someones house and they had one of those "Nagel" pictures(like the cover of Duran Durans' "Rio" album http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00...e=UTF8&s=music
on their wall.

Randy Tennison

Screenwriter
Real Name
Randy
I was in high school at the beginning of the 80's, and out of college at the end, so the 80's were a great time. Getting my drivers license, becoming "legal" to drink, discovering the many mysteries that are WOMAN.

Man, those were the days.

Danny Tse

Senior HTF Member
Time to pull my "Members Only" jacket out of retirement.

Hmmm....sleeves up or sleeves down?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Nielmb
Recent bookmarks