Stryke AV15 + PE 500watt amp = freq plot fun! (pics included)

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by LanceEAR, Jan 8, 2005.

1. LanceEAR

LanceEAR Agent

Quite a while ago I purchased an AV15 MKII along with a Parts Express 500 watt plate amp (with parametric eq). It never really had a home until I "finished" the basement room - it is still not finished but there are painted walls and carpet so that is good enough for now [​IMG]

Anyway, I built one of the recommended enclosures from stryke's site: 250L tuned to around 17Hz.

The room is L-shaped with 7ft recessed ceilings: main part is 22x13 and the "cubby hole" area is about 8x8 with ceramic tile. The main room is carpeted.

I do not have a BFD but the amp has a parametric eq so after _many_ test runs I have achieved decent results with my limited tools and experience.

Comments are welcome [​IMG]

And to all that have answered my elementary questions, Thanks for all of the help! Without this site I would have spent quite a bit more money on a traditional consumer sub.

Pics are at the bottome of the webpage
    pics

2. stephanX

stephanX Stunt Coordinator

Any pics of the actual sub? And im glad that your venture into DIY audio proved satisfactory!

3. LanceEAR

LanceEAR Agent

The sub is still raw MDF, unfortunately. Once I find some free time I'll get an actual finish applied and post some pics.

4. MarkRoberts

MarkRoberts Stunt Coordinator

We aren't picky round here go ahead and show us some MDF in the raw.[​IMG]

5. Max F

Max F Second Unit

Seems well EQ'd. So does it rock your world or what?

6. LanceEAR

LanceEAR Agent

Yes! But sadly I want more [​IMG] Either one more AV15 or an IB one day. But that will have to wait for another house.

I was thinking of picking up a BFD but it sounds pretty good as is. I was pretty surprised at how well the eq on the amp tamed the one bad peak I had.

7. Lewis Besze

Lewis Besze Producer

Your corrected chart shows 10db above corrected values,did I miss something?

8. LanceEAR

LanceEAR Agent

Nope! I missed something. I did a quick cut and paste to get a sheet I could upload. Basically that sheet contained data that was calibrated at 75db. I modified it to see what the 85 db levels would be.

My mistake. Sorry for any confusion. I'll change the sheet when I get home. For now I'll just remove the "data" portion.

9. Paul Spencer

Paul Spencer Stunt Coordinator

I can't see any pics! [​IMG]

You might also consider Behringer Ultracurve, which comes in two models DSP 8024 and DEQ 2496. I got the latter which is more expensive. Both have an AutoEQ function - you put a mic in your listening position and it does the eq to a target curve. You have both parametric eq as well as 1/3 octave GEQ. It will do fullrange eq and can also be used as a sophisticated dynamic limiter to prevent overdriving your system.