PE 500watt plate amp or RMX 850 for AV15?

Discussion in 'Home Theater Projects' started by LanceEAR, Dec 15, 2003.

1. LanceEAR

LanceEAR Agent

What are the pros/cons of going with the parts express 500watt amp (300-806) over the rmx 850? I am noob but for $300 why would I not choose the rmx 850 for a stryke av15? I've only found two threads that mention the rmx 850 and the av15. Are the eq and other features on the PE amp the deciding factors?

Initially I plan on building a sealed enclosure (2.5 or 5 cuft) but I am hoping to eventually build a 250L ported enclosure for it.

Can someone enlighten me? TIA

2. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Nothing wrong with the RMX amplifier for the AV15. The only drawback about the separate pro amp is the fan noise but if its in an equipment rack (well ventilated of course) or in another room entirely and you cannot hear the fan then it's a fine choice.

3. LanceEAR

LanceEAR Agent

Kyle,
    Thanks for the input. I've read that there are quieter fans for the qsc amps. Would that allow the use of these amps in the same room without being disturbed when listening at low levels? Putting the amp in another room is not an option for me.

4. Kyle Richardson

Kyle Richardson Screenwriter

Yes, upgrading the fan will quiet it enough to use in the same room with minimal, if any, fan noise. Its a bit harder on the RMX line compared to the PLX line and requires a bit of soldering I believe.