What's new

Stryke AV12's delayed (1 Viewer)

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Hey guys,
I just wanted to join in on the celebration and say I got mine too. Four nice boxes waiting for me in the shipping room yesterday. A nice pair of AV12's and 4 PR's. Absolutely beautiful! Only one problem, I am going to have to send one of the 12's back, as it has a pretty bad scuffing througout the whole center of the cone. :frowning: tear tear.
Have fun with the drivers everyone and Happy Holidays!
Jim

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Got mine, great-looking driver with impressive build quality, very happy with the purchase. Probably going to do a 95L box with two Lambda 15PR1400's. I'll try it in my 5ft^3/18Hz ported box also.

Lewis, I look forward to your impressions when you replace the Shivas!

JimRHIT

Stunt Coordinator
Hey Jack,
Is that 95L dual PR setup the smae as the thunder 12.3 enclosure?
What would the tuning on that 95L be with the 1400g PR's?
And lastly, what is your planned amplification?

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Jim,
My AV12 has some of the scuffing you speak of. I know that
John sent these back once for this problem. The cone is
clear powdercoated but what I actually think caused this
minute "checking" in the finish of the powder coating was
an interaction of the glue used to secure the dust cap.
That's my best guess.
At any rate It doesn't bother me and it's not going to
affect the sound and like I said before I wouldn't have
cared if John just would have shipped these with bare
natural alloy cones, I would have polished mine :)
Now my biggest factor is how should I mount this thing..
I hate the idea of floor facing because it is a great looking
driver and I hate the idea of not being able to see it!
For anyone that is going to mount this facing towards the
floor, the Gravity Loss (GLOSS) is less than 3% more like
2.45 % so it won't be a problem at all.

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Lewis, I look forward to your impressions when you replace the Shivas!
Me too!:)
I just realized that I have to enlarge the cut out,so this will take some time,as with the Holidays everybody is busy with other things,so I have to wait,as I need help just to move this thing.
I'll keep you posted!

Jack Gilvey

Senior HTF Member
Jim,

The tuning would come in just under 20Hz, not sure if it's the same as the Thunder 12.3. The amp I'd like is the Hypex HS500 (720w @ 4ohms), but I don't have one yet.

Rusty Boudreaux

Auditioning
What's the true resistance of the AV15 voice coil? I've heard 2/4 ohm DVC but the Stryke website shows 2.97 ohms.

My amp does 2kW at 4 ohms bridged or 2 ohms both channels but less with higher resistance.

I've ordered four AV15's so if they are 2/4 ohms I can get full power. If they are 2.97 ohms that yields 3 or 6 ohms total. Either case would be about 20% less power.

Thoughts?

Brian Bunge

Senior HTF Member
Rusty,

No driver's DC resistance is the same as it's rated impedance. Also, since impedance is variable with frequency, it will not be constant. So don't worry about resistance.

Also, a dual 4 ohm voice coil driver with a DC resistance of 2.97 ohms for each coil will be equal to 1.485 ohms when the coils are wired in parallel. So the resistance is lower, not higher.

And even if you are running at 20% less power (1600W), that equates to about 1dB less output vs. 2000W.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hi Guys,

Quick update here. The cones for the 15's should be to TC Sounds now. The problem again is the VC's. They use the same coils as the 12" woofers. There are plenty of the single 4ohm coils, but people were expecting dual 2ohm coils.

I could have the single 4ohm drivers made later this week. The dual 2ohm woofers won't be ready until the coils come in. That will be sometime after CES. I'll talk to kyle tomorrow. We should probably send email to everyone that ordered, asking if they want single 4ohm , or want to wait for the dual 2ohm.

Regarding the DCR of the drivers, a driver with 4ohm nominal impedance can have a DCR of anywhere from about 2ohm up to over 3ohm. The 2.97ohm DCR falls right in this range. When determining what impedance is safe with your amplifier, look at the nominal impedance.

John

Bryan Michael

Supporting Actor
i have a few questons. if we opted for the single 4 ohm vc would the performance be any different between the that and the duak 2 ohm? also how much more of a wait would we be looking at 1,2 week more like instead of the middle of the month it would be the end type of a wait?

thanks bryan

Rusty Boudreaux

Auditioning
Brian, thanks for the info. My amp needs 4 ohms or higher bridged or 2 ohms stereo. With four AV15 connected as two independent loads (stereo) I can either choose 2.97 ohms (parallel+series) or 0.745 ohms (parallel). 0.745 ohms is too low and 2.97 ohms limits power. If bridged as single load I can choose 1.485 ohms or 5.94 ohms. 1.485 is too low and 5.94 limits power. Both cases limit power to around 1665W...but like you said this about 0.8dB less than the amps maximum.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.