What's new

Stryke AV12's delayed (1 Viewer)

Lewis Besze

Senior HTF Member
Thanks for the update Kyle!
Will I get an email conf. from you with tracking?I bought it from your site.

Kyle Richardson

Screenwriter
These were all shipped directly from John at Stryke and he has not forwarded me any tracking numbers. I'll see if I can get them.

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Hi Everyone,

First off, let me appologize for the delays with the AV woofers, and my lack of responsiveness. With the new baby, and trying to squeeze in a bunch of projects that will be headed out to CES, I've been running on 3 hours sleep a night and have not had the time to put into email, etc.

Here's the complete rundown on what happened. The AV12's were all put together. The first samples were played for a few minutes and a problem was seen. I had originally thought that it was a problem with the cones, but turned out it was just the dustcaps. When these were made in China, they were supposed to have a clear powdercoat applied, the same as the aluminum cones. For some reason they were painted with an enamel instead. After a few minutes of playing at average volume levels, all the clearcoat began to crack and flake off. TC Sounds pulled all of the AV12's and ordered new dustcaps which were sent airmail to them. Having the new dustcaps made and getting them here caused a delay of a couple weeks. Then fitting the production of the new woofers into the busy schedule the month before CES was also a difficult task for TC. They were able to squeeze in two partial runs and shipped half of the woofers at a time.

The first of the AV12's finally arrived here at our shop on friday afternoon last week. Monday we shipped out 24 AV12's. The other half of the woofers arrived on Tuesday afternoon, and we shipped out the remaining AV12's, PR's, amps, etc all yesterday. I am hoping that everyone will ahve their AV12's at their door before Christmas.

As far as the AV15's go, TC Sounds is still waiting on the cones for them. Apparently they are on the ships, or docks out in california. Due to the shipping strike out there, everything is several weeks behind. Thilo had been in China the past week to get parts. He was hoping to pick up 100 cones for the AV15's so he could get them quicker than waiting for the ones on the docks, but this did not happen. Here is the update that Thilo sent me last night:

"I have some bad news; we will be getting the cones between Xmas and new year, that is a definite. TC Sounds will be closed From Dec 23 thru Jan 1. We will make the drivers on Jan 2 and 3, and will ship them to you immediately. I saw a prototype of the cone in China, but could not get the cones any sooner, since they had a batch of bad Aluminum that had severe streaks in it."

Again, I appologize for the delay. It seems like no matter who you deal with, someone down the supply chain will cause delays and everyone is affected by it. In future preorders I'm going to make sure parts are stocked and inspected before taking orders.

John

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
John,
I received my AV12 this morning from the friendly UPS man!

I just posted about it... This thing is HEAVY DUTY...

If I look real close at the dust cap I see some minute
"Checking" in the clear poweder coat finish but honestly
I could care less, they could have been natural uncoated
aluminum and that would have been fine (would have been
easy to polish!)

What counts is your dedication to customer satisfaction
and your love of the industry. This sub is extemely well
built and at the $140.00 price, it's a damn steal!

One question though, I notice on mine there are one set of
Binding Posts but there are another set of tinsel leads
that go nowhere (no other set of binding posts) did you
have TC send this out in a Single 4 Ohm VC Config or is
something amiss with my driver?

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Well, I have another update. Somewhat bad news, and explains the question Brett had. Turns out that although the plans were for a 2ohm DVC driver, TC made them with single 4ohm coils. I was so concerned with inspecting the cones, and getting the drivers out as soon as possible when they were here that I never checked to see if they were DVC or not.

So that brings us to a situation where there are 2 options. First, the single 4ohm coil and the dual 2ohm coil are identical in every way, except the dual 2ohm is split to give 2 sets of inputs. So if you planned to series the coils for 4ohm anyway, then there is no difference between the two. All parameters will be identical.

If you do plan to run the woofers at 1 ohm, or 2 ohm per channel on a multi channel amp, then it can be an issue. I spoke to Thilo a few minutes ago. He is doing what he can to fix the situation ASAP. The dual 2ohm coils are being ordered today, however they will probably not be available until after CES. This will also push the AV15's back yet again until the proper coils are in.

Again, the single 4ohm woofers will be identical in parameters to the 2ohm DVC with coils in series. If this is not a problem for you, then that is good. If you do want the dual 2ohm coils, please let me know. I can arrange for UPS to stop shipment on the single 4ohm woofers, or if they have already been delivered, I can issue a call tag for them to pick up the woofers.

I'll do everything I can to get this straightened out as soon as possible.

John

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
John,
To say "I don't envy you" is to put it mildly.. It ain't
easy running a buisness is it! step back and go "whew" and
repeat after me "I need a vacation!"
FYI.... One 4 Ohm VC is perfect for me.. Honestly for
home use I think most are going to go with 4 Ohm anyway
as far as power handling, I tested my AV12 out on a 500
watt RMS amp, that's the amp I will be running. It's a
matter of respect, tune and calibrate her right and she
will treat me right in return..
Everything is peachy for me!
One other note John, the sub shipped without the Stryke
logo. I am actually glad it did just because I didn't want
a logo on mine (forgot to put that in the special request
when I ordered)
I don't know if they are all Logoless I just thought it
may be something you needed to know about..
At any rate.. I am IMPRESSED! and completely happy...
:)

John,
Best of luck with getting everything sorted out. I've had experience trying to get things done right and on schedule when coordinating efforts in north america and overseas, and I know it can be difficult. :)
I've got one AV15 on preorder, and I don't personally care if it takes until february or march until it's finished being produced, as long as it's done right. When people preorder something, they know what they're getting into (or they should, at least.) Production delays are par for the course for this sort of thing, and are part of the reason why you aren't paying the full retail price.
Once I get my woofer in my hands, I'll know why it was worth the wait.
Contentedly waiting,
- Rick

Pete Mazz

Supporting Actor
Is it just being assumed that the single 4 ohm VC measures the exact same as 2 2 ohm VCs or have they been measured?

Pete

John E Janowitz

Second Unit
Pete,

The 2 coils are the same except the dual 2ohm is tapped twice. They have the same guage wire, same number of turns, same length, etc. I'm not positive on how precision does the coils, but I believe that on a dual 2ohm, 4 layer coil, they wind 2 layers and have a set of leads, then wind the other 2 and have a set of leads. On a single 4ohm, 4 layer coil, they just go back and forth twice to make the 4 layers and have a single set of leads.

Mms, Bl, etc will all be identical.

John

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Bryan,
Trust me... If it's anything like the 12.... And it will
be! It is SO worth the wait :)
Lets get ready to Ruuuuuuuuuumble!

Rusty Boudreaux

Auditioning
I've got four AV15's on order...that's bad news about the voice coils, etc. Stuff happens. If it takes six months to get every thing in order so be it. Quality over speed anytime. Besides I wouldn't want to ship 200+ pounds of drivers back ;)

Brett DiMichele

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Brett
Lewis,
Ain't these AV-12's awesome? I mean they not only look
superb, built like a tank and holy cow they move! :)
Geesh I almost wish I bought another and did a dual sealed
AV-12 Box :)
Nah... One will be PLENTY....
in a 1 Cu Ft Enclosure (Sealed) at 300 Watts I am showing
98Db at 23Hz.. That's not too shabby for such a small box..
Ported in a 60+ Liter I was seeing over 107Db in the 19-20Hz
Range.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.