What's new

Strange humming coming from my speaker (1 Viewer)

mac8457

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
I just noticed today that my center speaker has a humming or buzzing noise that increases when the volume turns up. It is loudest on Video 2 but on other inputs such as DVD or CD player the volume needs to be turned up really loud to hear it, much louder than I would ever have it for DVDs or CDs. Video 2 sound is my Xbox 360 HDMI going to my TV which is running RCA cables to my receiver and my DVD player is optical straight to the receiver.

Could this just be crappy RCA cables from my TV or is it time to purchase new speaker wire rather than using the crappy wires that came with the receiver? Thanks for your help in advance.

Scooter

Screenwriter
Real Name
Scooter
Maybe it's humming because it forgot the lyrics! ;)

Actually, sounds like a grounding problem to me. If you components are 2 blade, but your receiver is 3 prong (grounded), that can cause it.

mac8457

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
If that was the case wouldn't I hear the noise in all the speakers and not just the center?

mac8457

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Also as a note. I have all of my electronics hooked to the same power strip so they have the same ground. My TV coaxial cable is plugged directly to the TV though. My bar has a spot for the cable. Should I plug my cable into that first then into the TV?

mac8457

Auditioning
Real Name
Matt
Well I unplugged the analog audio cables from my TV and there is no hum whatsoever. So I think I pinpointed it to the crappy generic cables that I am using.

Anyone have a good recommendation for audio analog cables?

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mycuu
Recent bookmarks