What's new

STR-DA4ES Set up question (1 Viewer)

faraz

Auditioning
After much search, and reading reviews and posts, etc I finally purchased a Sony STR-DA4ES. So far I like it. Although I an still using my old poineer speakers (CS-C9900), the sound is really good. The only -ve I have at this time is the manual. I wish it had more info, specially on using the remote. This brings me to my question. Can some one tell me how to setup the unit so that I can hear music on my deck speakers while watching a movie at the same time. I see that there is a A & B speaker switch, but I am not sure how to use it. I was told by the sales man the this receiver has such a capability without using another amp. Any help will be much appreciated.:)

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
I see that there is a A & B speaker switch, but I am not sure how to use it. I was told by the sales man the this receiver has such a capability without using another amp.
While there is an A/B speaker switch, you can't utilize it for listening to different sources in two separate areas. If you go for the A/B option, the same source will be played in two areas. Plus, when you use the A/B option, your sound will be played in "2 Channel Stereo" mode. In your theater area, the center channel, rear channels and subwoofer will all be disabled and sound will only come out of your left & right speakers. I suspect this is being done to avoid over-taxing your amplifier.
The option that you're looking for will allow you to utilize a separate source for the 2nd zone. With this option, you'll need to get a separate amp / receiver in the 2nd zone to handle those capabilities - and feeds from your Sony STR-DA4ES.
I'm not too sure how the Sony will work with separate sources, though. The Denon AVR-1803 / 883 offered this feature. However, to utilize a different input source to feed the output to the 2nd zone, the connections had to be analog - if your CD player was connected via digital optical or coax cables, you had to revert back to the composite cables to get the source going to the 2nd zone because it didn't like digital signals.
I think the "2nd zone feature" is a good selling point. However, in reality, it's a bit tricky to initiate and get working successfully.
I'm currently awaiting the release of the book: "2nd Zone Output for Dummies." - Let me know when you see it on the shelves. :D

faraz

Auditioning
Wayne,
Thanks for your response. Do you know if the Denon AVR 2802 has this feature?

Wayne Ernst

Senior HTF Member
Faraz,

The Denon AVR-2802 is capable of outputting sound to a 2nd room - with proper amplification on the other end. The AVR-2802 features 2nd zone "pre-outs" giving you the capability to play a separate source to the 2nd zone. I'm not sure if the source has to be an "analog only" source like the 1803 required - or not, though.

However, the Denon AVR-1802 & AVR-883 receivers that I have owned, allowed me to utilize the A/B options simultaneously. Please be aware, using both together does put some strain on the amp. However, I've used A/B output combined for a few decades now - and I've never lost of piece of equipment to failure. When you use the A/B speaker outputs on the Denon receivers, the main zone will still power the 5 surround speakers in addition to the subwoofer. The Denon doesn't default into "2 channel" mode like the Sony STR-DA4ES does.

faraz

Auditioning
Thanks for the info. As I still have my old amp, I think I will try to hook it up to the Sony using its 2nd room feature. The manual that came with the STR-DA4ES leaves a lot to be desired. If any one out there has experience with this, please help.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks