STR-DA4ES Set up question

Discussion in 'Archived Threads 2001-2004' started by faraz, Dec 31, 2002.

1. faraz

faraz Auditioning

After much search, and reading reviews and posts, etc I finally purchased a Sony STR-DA4ES. So far I like it. Although I an still using my old poineer speakers (CS-C9900), the sound is really good. The only -ve I have at this time is the manual. I wish it had more info, specially on using the remote. This brings me to my question. Can some one tell me how to setup the unit so that I can hear music on my deck speakers while watching a movie at the same time. I see that there is a A & B speaker switch, but I am not sure how to use it. I was told by the sales man the this receiver has such a capability without using another amp. Any help will be much appreciated.[​IMG]

2. Wayne Ernst

Wayne Ernst Cinematographer

3. faraz

faraz Auditioning

Wayne,
    Thanks for your response. Do you know if the Denon AVR 2802 has this feature?

4. Wayne Ernst

Faraz,

The Denon AVR-2802 is capable of outputting sound to a 2nd room - with proper amplification on the other end. The AVR-2802 features 2nd zone "pre-outs" giving you the capability to play a separate source to the 2nd zone. I'm not sure if the source has to be an "analog only" source like the 1803 required - or not, though.

However, the Denon AVR-1802 & AVR-883 receivers that I have owned, allowed me to utilize the A/B options simultaneously. Please be aware, using both together does put some strain on the amp. However, I've used A/B output combined for a few decades now - and I've never lost of piece of equipment to failure. When you use the A/B speaker outputs on the Denon receivers, the main zone will still power the 5 surround speakers in addition to the subwoofer. The Denon doesn't default into "2 channel" mode like the Sony STR-DA4ES does.

5. faraz

faraz Auditioning

Thanks for the info. As I still have my old amp, I think I will try to hook it up to the Sony using its 2nd room feature. The manual that came with the STR-DA4ES leaves a lot to be desired. If any one out there has experience with this, please help.

6. Wayne Ernst