What's new

Clear something up for me.... (1 Viewer)

MattJS

Grip
Hi all,

Question regarding digital connection.

I have my DVD player currently hooked up via S-video and a pair of RCA's. When I ask my recvr (str-da4es) to auto-decode a DVD, it reverts to 2 channel with sub. I can manually set it to 'normal surround' and get all 6 speakers to function, but is this truly a DD or DTS decode?

I am planning on hooking up a new DVD player this week (sony dvp-ns715p)so I want to make sure and get the most out of it.

I guess it all boils down to this. Am I only able to transfer digital info using a coax or optic audio cable? And if so, is my recvr actually broadcasting in DD or DTS when I am connected using RCA's? Or is my recvr simply decoding as best it can using an analog signal.

Thanks for the help, I am just struggling to understand the in's and out's and why I am not able to really understand what my recvr is doing.

Matt

Rick_Brown

Second Unit
If all you are connecting to the receiver is via stereo RCA jacks, then you are SENDING analogue to your receiver. Your CD player is doing the digital to analog stereo conversion. You therefore ARE NOT listening in DD or DTS, just stereo or pro-logic.

You must connect via optical/coax to get true DD/DTS. Alternatively, if you are using a CD player with 5.1 analog outputs, you can feed decoded DD/DTS via those cables which connect to 5.1 channel input to your receiver (if it has them).

Jeff Gatie

Senior HTF Member
Rick is correct (Although I think he means DVD player instead of CD player). You can only get DD/DTS through a digital connection or 5.1 inputs on your receiver (i.e. 1 RCA connection for each channel, with the DVD player doing the decoding). If using only R/L RCA connectors, the most you can get is Pro-logic.

Definately get yourself a coax or optical connector if your receiver supports DD/DTS, you won't believe what you are missing!

MattJS

Grip
Thanks guys!

I think the whole 'digital' connection is the puzzle pc I am missing.

I plan on getting a coax conn for the DVD audio when the new DVD arrives (Crutchfield was nice enough to give me $50 for buying the new DVD so that should more than cover the cable I need)

Thanks again,

Matt

Bob McElfresh

Senior HTF Member
Matt: you just need an inexpensive video cable for the coaxial-digital connection. Should run you about $15 for the AR brand at Best Buy, or even Radio Shack. Since the signals are digital, they are very insensitive to the cable. Play around with your current DVD player so you will know what to do when the new one arrives.

Save that $50 for something else.

MattJS

Grip
good point, well, with $50 I could use it as a discount for a new TV, after all, I am saving 50 bucks ...right....right.... (the preceding gibberish was caused by temporary HT insanity)

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Larsenv
Recent bookmarks