What's new

Stores and Price Checks? (1 Viewer)

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Do all stores have price matching capabilities? Curcuit City Apparently has it, but I was wondering if all Comp USA's have it as well?
Thing is, we found a DVD R Drive for $350's, at an online store. But, my mother dosn't want to put it on her credit card. I have no need for a card, and my father will think it's a waste of money to get the drive in the first place. We where thinking of bringing in the printed proof of the Online Store price, and was hoping that Comp USA would be able to match it, or better it.
They offer it for $460, the online store for $350, same drive. Hence the question :).
Thanks!

Brian Harnish

Screenwriter
Neil- CompUSA doesn't price-match internet prices, so you're out of luck there. They will price-match local competitors (such as Best Buy or Fry's Electronics), though.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
Hmm...
Didn't think they would, but thanks for confirming it :).
Oh well...Thanks for the info...

Francois Caron

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
François Caron
Unfortunately, yes. DVD-R drives are still an expensive niche item for the time being. In Montreal, they're sold in computer specialty stores for about the same price ($500 CDN or $350 US).

Neil, as for your dad considering it a waste of money, that all depends on what you plan to do with the drive.

DeathStar1

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
Neil
I mostly want to use it as a backup for the servers backup. Just in case something un natural should happen to the server backup, since it's hooked directly into the ISP that's hosting it, with dozens of employees near it each day, I want to be prepared.

I just downloaded the entire server, and found out there's about 2 GB's of data on there. Why burn 2-3 CDR's of stuff, when you can fit it on one DVD R Disc?

The other reason I want to use it, is to catalouge my VHS tapes before the VCR chews up one that's impossible to replace, since the shows off the air.

Sigh.. Wonder how long it must have taken to convince him to buy our first VCR in the early 80's...especially since I was the main one to use it.

Ryan Wright

Screenwriter
Unfortunately, yes. DVD-R drives are still an expensive niche item for the time being.
Unfortunately? Expensive, niche item? :laugh::laugh::laugh: Do you know how cheap DVD-R drives are right now? I paid $400 for my 4x CDRW drive five years ago. A year ago, DVD-R drives were $1500+. At $350, these things are a bargain.
Neil, get yourself a credit or debit card and buy the drive online. Go to your bank and tell them you want a debit card. If you don't have a checking account, open one. You'll be glad you did.

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks