What's new

stop the subwoofer madness (1 Viewer)

John Garcia

Senior HTF Member
Real Name
John
One more thing - if you can, ask around (like here) to see if anyone in your area has one of the subs you are considering, that will allow you to come listen to it. You're talking some big guns now and while the Ultra definitely will not leave you wanting, you may not need that much sub (do you ever really need that much sub :D ?) Just a thought.

Geoff Gunnell

Stunt Coordinator
Rademacher, I've had both a pair of Titans and a pair of Ultras in my room at the same time. The Titans deserve the musical accolades they have garnered over the years -- if you are trying to blend bass presentation of acoustic intruments with electrostatic mains, for instance, they are the best I've heard.

I sold them and bought a second pair of Ultras.

If you can afford to upgrade to the PB12-PLUS /2 you might find the investment worthwhile over the NSD /2. The new PLUS driver is reported to be close to the current Ultra in sound. I make this rec to you solely because you have B&W speakers (I've owned the 601s, 602s, 603s, and CDM9NTs) and if you are that musical you will appreciate the PLUS driver.

How bout telling us the size of your room? I'll feel dumb rec'ing a /2 in a 12x12 bedroom....

Geoff Gunnell

Stunt Coordinator
Thanks, John...

Rademacher, you will do better with two 12" drivers in that room. In other words I would cross off the PB12-Plus single driver, and choose based on available funds between the NSD/2 and the PLUS/2.

If you can afford the Plus/2 I would rec it in that room -- some folks with theaters that large use two /2 cabinets -- you will notice the extra headroom over the NSD/2 in that volume.

On the other hand if $900 + freight is your budget limit, I don't know of a better solution for that much money in that volume than the NSD/2 (unless you want to try building your own subs).

One last thought -- if you get the NSD/2 you have 45 days to exchange it for the Plus/2 -- but getting a /2 cabinet UP the stairs is a job for movers, and return freight charges are at least $100 (my estimate). This might be a time to pony up for the Plus/2 up front. My opinion obviously...

Geoff Gunnell

Stunt Coordinator
And Rademacher... I have four Ultras in a 16x18 room with openings. Your room is too big for one 12" driver. To minimize distortion and have effortless bass you need radiating area. You could go with two Ultras -- but with the new 12.3 Plus driver the gap has closed quite a bit.
I just read (and now can't find) a post on another board from someone who was at the SVS plant, and reported that the Ultra/2 was better than the Plus/2 "but not by much".
Suppose the Velodyne DD-12 was better than the Ultra. (It isn't IMO). One DD-12 would not be enough for your room either.
Big room, one 12" woofer --ANY one 12" woofer -- not enough.
If you can afford the Ultra/2, cool. Otherwise listen to Erik, go for the PB12PLUS/2. My opinion.

Real Name
john
Woo, I can feel the excitement and energy just flying at me from my monitor.
Now you know why I labled this thread the "Madness", because after every turn, you say " that guys got something there". You guys are killing me and I would like to say thank you for that.
The one end of my basement is narrower then the far wall by 4ft due to the stairs coming down into the new room. When I origanly wrote that the room was 32x15, it was late when I wrote it and it is actually 17' wide (the other end not the one where the stairs are at). At the narrowed end of the room it will be a carpeted 12x13 area. The rest of the room is ceramic tile (man did that kill my back). The top part of the walls has been dry walled and lower half has exterior press board barn siding. The rafters will be open (7ft ceiling) sum what. Instead of dry wall it, I will be putting up wood lattis to give a more open feeling (once I know I have all the wires for electronics done properly).
Like I said prior, I'll have to save a few more pennies to do the job right.
Getting it down stairs, A couple of weeks ago I would have said "a couple of my buddies and will have'er licked". Then I slipped a disc in my back and the story has changed. But I still have a couple of buddies that are looking forward to this room so I guess I'll put them to the test.
I live in South Bend In., What would be the best way to find out if any one in this area had one of the ultras or the PB12 P2 to listen to. At one time I was going to make a road trip to the factory in Younstown Oh. to check them out.

Geoff Gunnell

Stunt Coordinator
Two in front can control the slide of a /2 cabinet down carpeted steps.

To compare the tone quality of the TV12 (Ultra) and the new 12.3 version of the Plus driver you will have to hear them side by side in the same room -- not too many (any?) folks have both. So if you can make it to the SVS plant you will learn a lot about subs as well as get a side by side comparison.
Set it up with them before you go so they are set up for you.

You might also want to visit the SVS forum here:
http://www.hometheaterspot.com/htsth.../6/Board/UBB84

Chuck Bogie

Second Unit
Don't completely discount building something yourself... I put together my twin 5.5 cube sonotubes in the basement. And to get 'em out, they're gonna be taken apart.

Also, if you have the option to build into the back of a bookcase or something like that, well, that could go a long way...

mazersteven

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Steve Mazer

LOL

And I was just going to respond to the thread "stop wasting time, and get the PB12-Plus/2. Glad you brought my attention to the date. :D

I wonder if he is still wasting time? LOL :laugh:
htf_images_smilies_rock.gif

frogpond

Stunt Coordinator
Real Name
Chris Baker
I would love to know how its going. Of course he may have gotten the SVS sub and is now living in his basement and refuses to come out:D

Users who are viewing this thread

and receive essential news, curated deals, and much more

You will only receive emails from us. We will never sell or distribute your email address to third party companies at any time.

Latest Articles

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
papill6n
Recent bookmarks